How to get rid of parasites ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How to get rid of parasites ?

I have had a problem going on for a while now losing fish, never really determined a certain desease, until now. I'm almost 99.99% positive I saw a parasite wiggling around in my tank. For the past couple months I have been treating my fish for bacterial, fungus, and other infections so this may be the problem I'm having
Symptom:
-Slowly losing fish after fish
-Fish seem to have a hard time breathing, but Not gasping for air at the surface
-Either losing appetite or getting really fat
-Crazy behavior, almost as if some fish are trying to get their tail
-Very sluggish behavior getting worse and worse
-no visible signs of anything on the fish

Should I start my tank over again? Get rid of all the fish I currently have and bomb my tank with hydrogen peroxide? Or is their a medicine that will get rid of parasites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Children Boogie

Worm parasites don't live outside of fish if they can help it. You saw a common detritus worm or planarian.

This tank sounds like trouble. I'd break it down and start over.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You think their are internal parasites though? The symptoms sound almost the same. And can I salvage all my plants if I started the tank completely over?

I just realized how many of these "worms" their are, they are very very small and all white

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-24-2016 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Children Boogie

What I'm getting at is internal worms don't live outside the host. Yes, you can save the plants. I would rinse them in a bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution since you have all these diseases in your tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 AM
Algae Grower

Remove all fish, keep tank in quarantine for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane P.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Worms can easily be treated with levamisole. What worries me is all the treatments the fish went through are not without side effects, and I'm not sure if you won't just be adding to the distress.
Increase frequency of water changes and filter media cleaning. This alone should make a large change. If there is a nitrogen excess related issue fish should look better after adding 1 tsp of salt per 10gal.
Increasing filter media cleaning is then really the answer.

The trick to cleaning your media is to clean it in a bit of water you removed from the tank. Do not use a running tap. You just want to massage most of the crud out, not get it sterile. do not clean the internal housing etc.
You can also feed less or less often, every other day is just fine for adult fish.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a planted tank so I don't want to risk my plants , sorry for not mentioning that. Do u think this will work if I remove all the fish(Ther aren't many) and let me tank catch up for a full 2 weeks) I think the problem is I have way to much crap in my tank from over feeding and just not taking care of it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode