The Planted Tank Forum banner

Beginner Co2 question

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Hilde 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations on some type of "step by step guide" and good introductory article(s) for someone like me that is looking to get into Co2. I have had planted tanks for a few years and would like to try Co2 on a 72 gallon bowfront I have. I just don't want to go into this with blinders on. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hello!
In case you haven't seen this yet here is just a very introductory guide to co2. There are more in depth guides around different forums that I can look for also (I've found a few very helpful). This can just get you thinking about the different options out there though!

Aquarium Gardens CO2 Set Up guide

#3 ·
I would recommend reading through this on this site before looking to far. It is very complete which can make it very complex at the same time. But then if you are looking for a simple answer, it may not be found since there are literally hundreds of ways to set up all the different varieties of parts. But it's a good start to understanding what may look like a totally bewildering system.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...12-pressurized-co2-just-thought-id-share.html

Just the question of buying a CO2 tank can have at least a half dozen good answers! Which will fit you is yet to be determined as we each have different priorities. So fear not, just go ahead and study the whole deal and when confused, it is a good time to ask some questions.
That's what keeps forums going and make for all the adverts which pay for the sites!

#4 ·
I will look at both links. Thank you very much. To start off I want to go with the KISS method. "keep is simple stupid" for those of you who have not the heard the term. I would like to then be able to tinker and build from there as I get more knowledgeable...

#5 ·
ive done the research and i should just give you the answer for a cheap/simple/reliable co2 set up. get the following

paintball co2 canister. - the cheapest canister out there for $25. fill it up with co2 at local hardware store for $4

get aquatek california paintball mini co2 regulator $90. it will give you a regulator and a electric solinoid so you can turn it on and off with a timer

get some plastic tubes, a bubble counter (your choice) and a diffuser (your choice) ~$15

amazon.com is your easiest solution. put it all together and turn it on with your lights, the tank will last you for a year.

#6 ·
Where I find it becomes complex is when we get into so many of the things that change the answer. What seems right for one will not be right for another. Paintball? I would not want to go there for anything more than 40-50 gallons. But that answer depends on how much CO2 you will need. and that, in turn, depends on a number of things. The answer changes according to how you are putting it in, how much is lost to the air and how much each tank's plants need/use.
Low light/ no ferts will have a different answer than high light with ferts.
So the simple answer? I see no simple answer for all tanks. Even something as simple as where to get the tank refilled will depend on what you have in your area. In my area, there would be no hardware to refill tanks. I use 20 pound tanks as it reduces the number of times I need to refill. The trip to refill is 6-8 miles and will normally take something like 30 minutes to an hour so I want to do it every 4-6 months rather than more often.

#7 ·
I personally am a DIY CO2 guy, little more work though. If I were to start over I would go with pressurized CO2,especially for your tank size/co2 requirements.

Just remember, don't go cheap w/ the regulator (+$200). You'll have a lot of problems with consistency and end of tank dumps otherwise.

#13 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I am aware that an end of tank dump is a small possibility. One I guess I am willing to take for the benefits of using Co2. I am currently looking at one of Green Leaf Aquariums complete systems. They are a bit pricey but seem to have a good reputation.

#14 ·
I agree with your earlier statement, keep it simple. You can research for hours, learn every detail about every component, source them out, and save a few bucks and have a great system.

Or you can skip all that, order the GLA system, and be done with it. That's what I did and I am very happy. The few dollars I could have saved are peanuts compared to everything else over the long haul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.