The Planted Tank Forum banner

Interesting way to grow terrestrial in aquarium

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Acro 
#1 ·
So I was at good ol' wally world the other day and happened past the bathroom decorations area. In passing through, I found small toothbrush holders that suction to the wall of a shower. I thought... Toothbrush left in shower... No thanks, but then realized how this could benefit me.

$2 for the suction holder, a handful of clean gravel, and a baby spider plant I grew from a large plant and voilà. I now have an emersed plant growing vessel.

Added bonus: I've been cycling this 5.5 gallon for a betta. I had about 40 ppm nitrates before adding the spider. After 72 hours, I'm sitting at 10 ppm nitrates!

Anyone ever tried this? They had bigger suction containers that could hold some serious vegetation in a larger tank. If this continues to work, I may do a few bigger ones for my other tanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Oh yes, it has been tried. ;)

Look up something called "Riparium" and say hello to a member on this website called Hydrophyte, he is the father of Ripariums. :D

We even have a section on this website devoted to Ripariums, Terrariums and Vivariums, check it out: Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium - The Planted Tank Forum

Here is a sample of a beautifully setup Riparium! :D

#3 ·
Thanks, that is really beautiful. Believe it or not, terrarium building and hydro/aqua-ponics is what got me interested in planted tanks in the first place. Gardening was my first major interest (and still is, considering I basically have a botanical garden at my house!).

That being said, I'm more curious whether anyone has attempted to use this type of emersed (immersed?) vessel (inexpensive shower suction holders, or similar) as a method of growing terrestrial plants? Every one that I've done before would typically incorporate some form of water flow. You'll notice that the HOB on this tank is also planted! This vessel in particular does not incorporate any specific water movement and relies on complete tank water movement.

#6 ·
I had a Riparium setup, never did plants in a hob, but the difficult thing for me was lighting. That's basically because of my situation, I had a 55 gallon and was only using clip on lamps and floor lamps to illuminate the riparium plants. Some did very well, but others needed more light. In all, it was successful once I matched the right plants with the lighting I had.

I never really used the plants for water quality (they were for beauty) and never really kept tabs on how the plants affected water quality. But I would say it did help with keeping things stable for longer amounts of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.