The Planted Tank Forum banner

A few random questions. Collected plants and excel

701 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pattern8 
#1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I live up in SW Washington and was doing some trout fishing this morning and caught some plants, I was wondering if I could put them in my aquarium and if so how can I sterilize them so they don't put anything bad in my aquarium. I will post pictures of the plants soon.

Second I just got the fundamental dosing kit from seachem. It has excel, flourish and iron in the kit. I was going to dose iron and flourish once or twice a week and do excel either every day or every other day.

My question comes with dosing excel. I leave for work every day around 7am and my lights come on around 2pm so that I can enjoy my tank in the evening. Would it be okay to dose my excel at 7am, 7 hours before my lights come on? Or would I be better off dosing at 5pm, 3 hours after my lights have came on.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend
Thanks
Matt

#5 ·
I've so far had success with going the bleach dip method. 19 parts water to 1 part bleach. I soak the plant in this solution for no more than 5 min, rinse under tap, and then soak them in another bucket with 5x the recommended dose to water volume of Seachems Prime for about an hour or so.

Excel remains in the water column, available for the plants use, for 24 hrs. Dosing in the morning before you leave sounds like the best method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.