Snail Eaters? - The Planted Tank Forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By goodbytes
  • 1 Post By roadmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Snail Eaters?

Whats up everyone. ok as you know i am starting a 240 and my substrate will be playsand. as I like it and use it in Most of my tanks. So i like to keep MTS in their as they do a good job of stirring up the top half of the sand. Unfortunately I have other pest snails That i don't like. the dreadful bladder snail. I don't know why i don't like them, But i just don't like them.

So here is the thing I am looking for someting that will keep the MTS population in check, but not eradicate them. Something that will eat Bladder snails and thier eggs. And something that won't eat maybe Nerite snails. (nerites are something I want but don't have to have.) what are your thoughts? is their a fish that will live up to my demands.

the problem with doing snail traps is the top of the tank is higher than me so The less time i have to spend on a latter the better. So i don't want to do a trap. Just want to keep populations in check.

Everyone follows a Trend!
Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Smaller loaches or assassin snail's, but they would also go after the nerites.
Larger loaches in my view, might make keeping stem plant's rooted more difficult .
Had some Clown loaches along with YoYo loaches and they were all the time uprooting my val's while rooting around in search of snail's and food.
Asassin snail's went after the pond snail's first, and then the larger Malaysian trumpet snail's.
Didn't seem to bother the smaller Malaysian snails who steadily kept the tank populated.
Not sure what happened to the assassin snail's but after some month's, I saw only a few dead assassin's.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea I want to stay away from clown loaches. I was thinking of a dwarf puffer but I heard MTS aren't good for them. Idk. I am still researching fish at the moment. also i have 1 assassin i see every once in a while in my 75. Sometimes i think he is dead because i don't see him. but he appears out of nowhere sometimes.

Their is always light at the end of the tunnel, That's when the train Hit's You!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 PM

I would stay away from Dwarf Puffers.. the MTS have shells that are way too hard for their teeth. I tried growing a plant or two in a Dwarf Puffer tank I had many years back and the puffers ate all the plants, puffers like leaving little circular holes in all the leaves.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I figured from what i had briefly researched that the indian dwarf puffer couldn't handle the MTS but I still haven't actually figured out what I want in my tank.. So suggestions would be nice. I got a lot of room to play with.

Last edited by FuelingFire; 08-01-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: editing.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Algae Grower

My personal experience is Dwarf Puffers are cute and did some snail control but they began to be terror to my big tails guppies.

They will eat their tails till they go into shock and die.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow that sucks Cute and innocent till you turn your back huh, Sound like some kids I know haha.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Planted Member

I once had a small puffer in a community tank where a pair of kribensis were spawning, the female guarding the nest. I came home one day and half the female's "cheek" was bitten off. The only possibility I could think of was that the puffer did it. He went back to the shop that night and I haven't had one since (over thirty years) and doubt that I ever will again. They are cute, but they can do some serious damage with those teeth they get their scientific family name from (tetradontidae).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Assassin Snails sure are nifty. My last Yoyo jumped out of the tank and the cat got him so I had to find a suitable replacement for snail control. I'm not very fond of Pond Snails either, so I dropped 10 Assassins in my 55 and they really went to town on the hundreds snails I had in there. The substrate is littered with piles of their tiny shells. My substrate looks filthy, but when you look close you see a multitude of tiny little swarming MTS on the side of the tank where the extra food lands. They are livebearers so they multiply explosively in warm tanks where food is plentiful. I seriously doubt you could ever get rid of them. Ramshorn snails and Pond Snails multiply at a snails pace comparatively (you see what I did there). The Assassins totally eradicated the Pond Snails. They only live in my canister filters now. Apparently they will attack Nerites but I've never had that problem. I overfeed deliberately to keep the MTS going and do 50% w/c once a week. The Assassins seem to go for the easier pickings on the substrate rather than tackle the large Nerites that climb to the tops of plants and cruise across the glass.

Man snails are awesome. I never understand why people are always so turned off by these much maligned but wonderfully entertaining creatures.
FuelingFire likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well Ya'll deff making me rethink the puffer. Now Back to the drawing board (again) I guess I can do maybe 6 or so assassin snails. I Don't actually mind MTS and actually need them for my sand., But like i said I hate bladder snails. Will assassins go after My MTS first or the bladder snails? Beings the bladder snails are fast little buggers. I never see my assassin in my 75 unless he is on the front glass. I do see Empty snail shells of both type of snails. Is their a fish that may take care of the snail eggs to decrease the popluation of bladder snails. also I have never had more than 1 assassin snail in a tank, I heard they will gang up on nerite snail, and other large snails. is this true?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love dwarf puffers but they're really only good for a single species tank. They'll go after the easier to eat snails over the MTS. Still needed to do supplemental feeding and mine only ate live food.... got to be a pain.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Algae Grower

My last attempt on Assassins were not very good after I rescaped the tank. Could be copper in my water or just too few to start off.

I think must get at least 10 to get them established. They been great with the control of the Bladders in the original tank and so far there's no incidents on ganging up on Nerites. I find they do prefer easy meal, like the occasional bladders on the substrate and I witnessed them chasing big bladders on the tank glass.

Worst case, you can always give a hand by doing daily or weekly snail crushing exercise. Well my fish seems happy with the "escargot" treat.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea i do that now in my 75. but my fish don't eat them. but with this new tank It's to tall to be trying to get my hand into it. I need to get on a latter to do any plant trimming or anything like that. I'm wondering if Kuhli's will eat the snail eggs. I know the ones I had a while back didn't eat snails, But I wonder if they ate the eggs, Because i never saw snail eggs in thier tank when i had them...

Maybe I'll do about 10-12 assassins, I guess i really just won't something to eat the bladdder snail eggs. to control them

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelingFire View Post
Well Ya'll deff making me rethink the puffer. Now Back to the drawing board (again) I guess I can do maybe 6 or so assassin snails. I Don't actually mind MTS and actually need them for my sand., But like i said I hate bladder snails. Will assassins go after My MTS first or the bladder snails? Beings the bladder snails are fast little buggers. I never see my assassin in my 75 unless he is on the front glass. I do see Empty snail shells of both type of snails. Is their a fish that may take care of the snail eggs to decrease the popluation of bladder snails. also I have never had more than 1 assassin snail in a tank, I heard they will gang up on nerite snail, and other large snails. is this true?
Will go after the bladder snail's or pond snail's first for they do not have trap door to close up like the MTS which makes getting the meat out of them more difficult.
FuelingFire likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode