The Planted Tank Forum banner

Wood trim vrs black trim.. repile tank vrs fish tank?

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  lnstevens 
#1 ·
So growing up I was taught:
black trim on a tank= built to handle water pressure aka fish tank.
wood trim on a tank=not built to handle water pressure aka reptile tank, don't fill with water.
Is this still true?
I see a lot of used aquariums for sale on cregslist with wood trim that I shy away from thinking they aren't built to handle water pressure, and being large 100+g tanks I don't' want to buy one that' going to burst when filled because its not built to take the water pressure and leave me with a giant nightmarish mess!

Do any of you have wood trimmed fish tanks (large tanks)? How long have they been running? No bowing/leaks?

#2 ·
I dont think thats true. I think the wood trimmed tanks are typically a bit older as that was a popular look for a while. I've got an older 55 and 29 with wood grain trim and they are holding up just fine. Although I'm sure some wood trimmed (and some black trimmed) tanks could be reptile tanks. Usually the thickness of the glass is a way to tell for sure.

#5 ·
I have a 90G with wood trim. You used to be able to order it as an option, but not 100% sure that's the case anymore. Reptile tanks are noticeably thinner, lighter and have thinner outer (the one inside the tank) silicone beads, if any.

#8 ·
All of them offered wood trim and most of them still do (Aqueon and Marineland still do).

Wood trim was a looks think and has no effect on functionality.

Typically the way to tell the difference is a tank that was built for reptiles will have a slider in the top trim for a screen, but that is not always the case.

And I would say over 50% of your reptile people are using standard aquariums, especially when you hit 55 and go up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.