LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Pros. And Cons. Of Uv Sterilizer.

Another Everyday Question. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Pretty much the same answers you received for the activated carbon.

A UV is helpful for certain disease or parasite outbreaks and can help get rid of green water algae. But there is no reason that I can see to run one full time on a tank.

BTW, the search function could have answered both of these questions for you in seconds.

Or if nothing else you could have combined the four questions into one post.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Planted Member
hey I just purchased a TMC Vecton UV sterilizer. I have done alot of reading on it and after all my research It seems a worthwhile investment. Granted it cannot eliminate BBA which is attached to the plant, but with the right UV doseage you should be able to eliminate most of the BBA spores that are in the water column. So prior to installing mine, I intend to use 1:19 bleach to eliminate all BBA on my plants than do a large water change followed by turning on the UV which will hopefully kill any remaining spores still in the water. I think the big problem with UV is that most dont use it right, or when they do, dont allow for long enough duration for a good kill. ALso after doing a ton of reading the more popular brands of UV sterilizers are often critized as junk which can do little more than remove plaktonic (green water) algae. A few other real popular brands have been linked to fires do to poor electronics, which based on lawsuits has caused one maker to go out of business. So I think UV has its place, however you have to be very careful on how you use it. You need slow enough water pass throughs, for 100% kill rate, but not so slow that things rebreed in the tank during the slow turnover rate. There is also the fact that UV requires extrememly clear water to be effective, as colouration, debris and sediment will effectively block most UV light, so with this in mind you should use a regular amount of activated carbon to keep things clean prior to entering the UV. Check your canister filter for the right flow rates as this seems to be the best method. A dedicated pump will give you the right flow rates if picked accordingly however with no prefilter or carbon you are askiing for trouble. YOu should keep in mind that UV will oxidize some trace metals which may make it more difficult for plants to suck them up, iron is included here, also carbon has a short life span as do UV bulbs...

Eheim 2215, 2217, Pro III,

Supreme Eheim Pimpdaddy in Canada.. #40
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
it removes pretty much all diseases if set up right
cleans water

only cons are cost and it removes some iron i've heard
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru
Using one right now after I noticed an oto with Ich.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
I run a 9W Turbo twist and have not noticed a problem with nutrients. That could well be because I have just about been running one from the start, and have taken it into consideration when I figured out my dosing regime.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru
James hoftiezer runs one 24/7 as well and grows things really well. He does dose micros/iron daily though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode