The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do Vals melt when transferred to a new aquarium?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
Do Vals melt when transferred to a new aquarium just from the stress of moving?

I received some vals in the mail from an order and planted them in my aquarium but the leaves seem to be melting and falling off and I was wondering if that is normal after transplanting them?

Thanks.

#5 ·
No, nothing like that. I did have a bubble wall on the back of the aquarium next to the val's however I have since moved it to the side of the aquarium in case the water movement was too strong for them.

Perhaps I have them buried too deep.

#6 ·
Not entirely true.
You may cut a leaf cleanly and the remaining leaf portion will survive.
Perhaps drastically different water conditions?
I purchased some contorted val off eBay and they arrived in very poor as in starved and deprived shape and These are melting. Opposed to some I got from a member here that are doing well.
Since my water is quite hard perhaps that is a possible answer for the OP as well?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My Italian vals refused to survive in Florite, while going gangbusters in two other tanks with Aqua Soil and sand.
Trim the roots and leave each plant with 3 youngest leaves (the ones growing from the center).
In my personal experience, they were not negatively affected by Excel.

Getting cooked during shipment might be another cause of melt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.