The Planted Tank Forum banner

Advice for 0.9 gallon pico tank

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  vincel892 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just purchased a 0.9 gallon marina cubus and was thinking of starting a planted/cherry shrimp tank. Will most likely use a desk lamp with a 6500K cfl for light, no CO2, and probably dose macro/micros once a week. I just needed some suggestions on what type of filter and heater I can use for a small tank like this. I am leaning towards the azoo palm filter as it is the smallest HOB filter I've seen. As for heater, I know there are tiny non adjustable 7-8w heaters that are usually used for betta bowls. Anyone have any experience with these? Would it heat up my tank too much? Was also wondering whether it would be possible to go filter-less/heater-less.
Anyone suggestions would be appreciated
Vincent

#2 ·
Azoo palm filter or Deep Blue Professional Biomaxx Nano Filter would work for a small tank. Or even just an sponge filter, but those take up a lot of space. Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for a heater, but the cobalt aquatics neo-therm heater is pretty popular for nanos. I'm going heaterless for my nano.

#4 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice. I just spent the last hour or so reading your 1.5 gallon journal. It's amazing! I wanted this to be a budget build. Managed to get the tank for only $20 but it looks like Ill have to spend more than I originally planned haha.

I've had several Cubus 0.9 but I never used a filter or heater. I think it's just too small. The Azoo palm would look huge on it and ruin the look (for me anyway.) I always just changed the water once/twice a week, it's 0.9G empty so once you put some stuff in it, it's very small and I wouldn't trust a heater.
I don't mind the look of the azoo on the back as I won't have time for water changes once or twice a week. Planning to maybe go low tech and do a water change once a month. In terms of heater, I may try without a heater for now and monitor the temps before adding in any shrimp.

#3 ·
I've had several Cubus 0.9 but I never used a filter or heater. I think it's just too small. The Azoo palm would look huge on it and ruin the look (for me anyway.) I always just changed the water once/twice a week, it's 0.9G empty so once you put some stuff in it, it's very small and I wouldn't trust a heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.