The Planted Tank Forum banner

Worried and trying to avoid a disaster

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  easternlethal 
#1 ·
Ok, so, I went away for 5 days, came home and found about 1/4 inch of fish food laying on the substrate of my tanks, food growing mold everywhere and filters clogged. I guess the instructions left for my fish sitter were not followed. (too mad to even get into it). So, after driving 10 hours, I did about a 50% water change on all 3 tanks. I vacuumed the substrate as best I could. Fish are huge (bloated), but no deaths yet. Plants uprooted due to the deep cleaning, but will fix that tomorrow. Filters rinsed and now working. Plan to do another water change tomorrow. Any advice on anything else preventative I can do would really help. I will test the water in the morning. Should I continue with 50% change daily until I get the water clear and parameters normal? Any further advice would be appreciated.

#3 ·
And adding some extra Prime will smooth potential ammonia spike.

Unless the water parameters are way out of line, I would just let the tank settle down. You have already done everything reasonable - just go back to your regular maintenance routine.

#4 ·
I bet your fish sitter tried to open your fish food over the tank and accidentally tipped a whole bunch in. Rookie mistake. When I go away i always measure my food into little tiny ziplock bags and label each day so all they have to do is open and empty it in.

#6 ·
I would also add prime for a while or at least throw some Ammolock in there.
You don't have to feed them for the next week so that will help a bit.
Also keep surface agitated, filters can form 1g of CO for every gram of food / 24 hours.

#7 ·
I would not have anybody feed my fish unless I was a way for more then week. Even then I have someone feed them every other day at best. I also cut my lights down to 8 hours a day.

I just wonder what people think a fish can eat. There stomachs are about the size of there eyes at least on smaller fish.
This is to good people just not knowing. Sorry for your pain sounds like you were lucky.

#8 ·
Oh man. Keep up with testing the water until your parameters are back to normal. I would continue doing water changes daily until then and not feed the fish nearly as often for the next week or two. Not sure how you mess up feeding fish... GL!

#9 ·
Sounds like you were lucky. I did that trying to open the food container over the
top of the tank routine once. Had two fish die while I watched as I did a vaccuum
of what I could reach out of that part of the food which was on the bottom.
I suspect it was an instant spike of Ammonia.
Lost half a dozen RCS and the two fish out of a 10g tank in the first half hr.
I think you were lucky to not loose everything from your description of the amount
of fish food on the bottom.

#10 ·
Sounds like you're doing all you can for now. Next time, dont bother asking someone to feed the fish when you're away. They'll survive 5 days and you'll rest easier too!

Reactions: DaveK
#11 ·
Wow, thanks for the replies and the concern. I think I caught it in time. No ammonia after water changes and this morning, but did water change again. Added prime to treat whole tank size last night, kept the water level a little low to increase surface agitation. No deaths yet, but my blue ram looks a little sad. Poor thing. And, as far as my instructions went, I did say, no need to feed while I am gone, as I had researched feeding during time away and felt that they would be fine. But, I think my stinker angelfish put on their permanent "please feed us faces". My fish sitter is my loving husband, who totally supports my obsession, but is pretty hands off (per my request, mostly) and I think I may now have some favors ahead of me. haha. I was so upset, crying and he apologized over and over for not looking at the tank after feeding them. He said, "I don't stare at it, like you do." He probably will now. The reason it was so apparent to me immediately, was I have black blasting sand in my 20 and the food laying on the substrate was unbelievable. My 2 cherry red shrimp even survived, so far. Worried about what effect the water changes will have on them. And, the a guppy decided it was time to have some more fry over the weekend also. I am sure I will have a MTS explosion. I can easily deal with that. I had just gotten 4 new huge cory cats for my 56, but they all look healthy as well. Again, thanks for the support and advice. My tanks would not be as healthy as they are without this forum and the knowledge I gain from it. I will continue with the water changes and watch my nitrates, as now it is time to deal with my outside gardens. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.