The Planted Tank Forum banner

Keeping real Skulls in the aqurium

17K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 ·
I'm just planning out my 120 gallon aqurium as my Fahaka puffer will be moved to said tank after he has out grown his current tank in 2-3 months.
I'm sticking with black sand with a lot of live plants like the tank he's in currently but I'm wanting to add some nice driftwood and a real crocodile skull to this tank, I hate the tacky fake skulls you can find around pet stores and online but as someone who already keeps a small skull collection I would like to put a Nile crocs skull in this tank.
Would real bone or skull be ok in this tank? It wouldn't hurt the fish or skull in this tank would it?

#2 ·
I would be worried about any chemicals used to process the skull leaching out. Long term the skull might deteriorate because of fish feeding off any algae growing on it or just general wear and tear. I sure wouldn't want to use something I wanted in a collection.

#3 ·
Bone's tend to degrade super fast in water and from what I've heard they don't last long. They also mess with the water parameters. If you feel like it, you can invest in some high-grade non-toxic clear resin and seal the ENTIRE skull leaving no part of it uncovered and you can then use it in the aquarium, checking it regularly.

#4 ·
Depending on the pH the skull could dissolve, lower pH vs higher pH, mineral content in the water, etc.

It might worth investigating the coatings they use on some aquarium articles to see if it would suitable for the skull. I really like the idea of a skull in the tank.

#5 ·
Yeah a guy earlier told me a layer of epoxy would seal it but isn't epoxy kind of a weird yellow color? I guess I'll end up doing something with it and this particular skull isn't for my collection or it is but its being purchased for the tank in other words I'm not supper worried about it I just don't want it to fall apart as if I change the tanks scape as I do so often with all my aquariums I'd like to be able to throw it in my case and not worry about it. finally would a high quality reproduction of this skull be a better alternative all together I've never had one but I've seen them for sale I think their just plastic however they seem just as expensive.

#6 ·
I've seen deer Skeletons in a lake last 2-3 years , though it may have lasted longer, in pretty sure ice carried it away. I would mention that they took on a greenish tint to them, whether it was sun bleaching or algae staining it im not sure but it is worth noting

#8 ·
In larger tanks, longhorn skulls are used as décor by those who like them. They may degrade after time but then most natural things do. I would suggest doing a good bleach soak before using it to cut the odds of weird things showing up later. Just one way to do away with those surprises where fish die, "for no reason".

#13 ·
With bone, what I've done in the past to clean it, is use hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide denatures protein without harming the calcium content of the bone - so if there is any biological matter on the bone, it should be eaten away. You get a good clean, without affecting the structure of the bone. I've safely left bone submerged in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water for several hours.

However, I would suspect leaving the bone in water for a long period of time would eventually degrade the bone, but it can take months to years depending on the pH of the water in your tank. At a fairly neutral pH, the bone is likely to survive quite a long time I'd wager.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.