The Planted Tank Forum banner

Quick curing aquarium safe glue?

869 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jacob.morgan78 
#1 ·
Hi

I have some wood pieces that I have mounted in styrofoam blocks which sit underneath my substrate, but I am worried that when I fill my tank these blocks will float.

I had some aquarium safe sealant in the garage but is has expired and I am planning to plant and fill my tank the day after tomorrow. Any ideas what I can use to secure the styrofoam to the base of the tank to stop it floating that will be aquarium safe (or cured) in max 24 hrs ?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Styrofoam is going to be one constant problem. Little pieces can break off and float. The whole piece will want to float, and can break free from almost anything you can use to glue it.

If this were my tank, I'd replace all the Styrofoam with rocks, possible something like red slate, which is thin and can be glued or otherwise mounted to the wood. It will stay down on it's own and you can easily pull it up if you need to.

#3 ·
Styrofoam is going to be one constant problem. Little pieces can break off and float. The whole peice will want to float, and can break free from almost anything you can ise to glue it.

If this were my tank, I'd replace all the Styrofoam with rocks, possible something like read slate, which is thin and can be glued or otherwise mounted to the wood. It will stay down on it's own and you can easily pull it up if you need to.
THis is likely what you're going to encounter. But for future reference plain old super glue is completely safe to use in an aquarium and dries pretty quick.

#4 ·
One of the things I thought of doing was gluing suction cups to styrofoam and using that to secure to the glass. Will make for easier removal maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.