The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant lights at night instead of day

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  UnicornStampedes 
#1 ·
Hello,

Could somebody please advise/give a straight answer as to whether I can have my plant lights at night instead of day time and my plants will be ok?

Do I need to slowly adjust them to it?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that plants will be ok to have lights on at night instead of during the day but I see most of my plants "closing up shop" and folding their leaves in as if to say "I'm off to bed" around 6pm but I would really like to start turning on my plant lights around 5pm and onwards...

#2 ·
depends if the tank gets a lot of natural light during the day, if so, you'll have a lot of algae xD... other then that, I have several tanks in my basement wich have lights on during night-time so i dont have to pay full electricity price xD... and they do fine, but they get no natural light at all..

On the other had, i had a drystart that had lights on at night and had some indirect sunlight during the day, and they did fine too, but algae where no issue because of the drystart ;)

#3 ·
My aquarium does not get any natural lighting what-so-ever because of where it's located. So they'll be ok to have lights on at night? I was just skeptical because most of my plants "close up" around 6pm so I was wondering if that meant they were not photosynthesizing anymore and whether I'd just be wasting electricity running it at night if they're not going to make use of it..

#5 ·
Hide your clock so the plants will never know your devious plan! I'm quite positive none of the inhabitants in your tank care if its 6 pm or 6 am. The only "time" reference the plants have is how long the lights have been shining.

#6 ·
If you do go with lights on at night (no reason not to) I would advise you skip the last lights on period during the day, rather than extending it to the night and then going with a regular night time schedule, you're a lot less likely to have problems crop up with doubled up lights out, vs doubled up lights on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.