The Planted Tank Forum banner

Just found baby black neons in my tank!?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GrampsGrunge 
#1 ·
Well...this was unexpected. I just was doing some overdue tank maintenance because (rather ironically) I had a baby last week so I guess you could say I'm a little behind on house chores. So as I'm wiping brown algae off the glass (sigh...), I notice two tiny fish staring at me...started counting my fish and realized, yup, there's 2 more than usual. I am shocked--I've only had the tank up and running a couple of months and also, I just figured tetras don't really randomly reproduce like livebearers. It is very heavily planted. But is this common? Should I start making a plan for more fish in the tank? Right now it's a bit understocked so no worries.

Anyway, just had to share--Would love to hear your opinions as to whether I should expect a black neon tetra baby boom or if this is more likely a one-off event...:)

#2 ·
a lot of times tetras if not feed right or even if they are will pick at the eggs they scatter, or pick off very young fry so it can happen, but a lot of times only a few out of 50 will live in a tank full of adults if they are able to find cover. i have 4 small neons right now that we're hiding from me for apparently a while. if you could i would like to see some photos though,

#4 ·
Tetras do actually breed fairly often, though it can be a bit tricky to get a considerable number to adulthood. You might have more babies hiding, and most likely they'll breed again. Try feeding with frozen and live foods in order to help condition them and encourage them to breed again, and if you're lucky, you can probably get a good few more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.