Definition of "Over Feeding"? - The Planted Tank Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Definition of "Over Feeding"?

I still consider myself somewhat of a novice fish keeper ...I started with a 20GL in 2011...moving on to a 40G Breeder and multiple Betta Tanks. I have never quite understood the meaning of "over feeding"..... I have always fed my fish once a day....not too much, not too little! I just "eyeball" it. I would love to know what & how often my fellow fish keepers feed their fish. Thank You in advance! Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

When feeding flakes, I always found the balance where none of the flakes were left after about 5 minutes, once a day, twice if there were bullies gobbling most of them up.

"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

I agree. But my definition for overfeeding is feeding more food than the fish need.

If a lot of detritus builds up in the substrate, you're probably overfeeding.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap
A Silent Cycled Tank
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Mad Scientist

Interesting topic. I (we) feed the fish twice a day (flakes and freeze dried blood worms). If you pay attention to the stop watch, I would guess by 30-45 seconds 80% of the food is gone. The remaining 20% may last another 2 minutes. I did a video awhile ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk-MI0YsYpg about possibly over feeding my fish. Bear in mind this video is only 1 minute long. Today those fish are much larger and as you might guess, much hungrier.
For those that feed only once per day - would you feed this much? Would you feed more?
I'm thinking feed a little less, but feed twice per day.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

I looked at the video of you (plural) feeding the fish. Beautiful fish, beautiful tank. In my opinion, you're feeding them way to much. I turn off my filter when I feed so the food stays in one place. I feed once a day and sparingly. Of course I've only got 5 Pristella Tetras and one Panda Cory in my 10 gal. tank, and including some MTS that all died at once, a fish load calculator gave me over 90% of the limit. You should find a calculator and see what your tank is doing. I'd say it's somewhat over the limit.

I'm sure there have been plenty of instances of killing fish with kindness by overfeeding. I try to leave the smallest biofootprint in the interests of system efficiency and balance. I can cut back on some things, like I don't have anything in my filter.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap
A Silent Cycled Tank
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Algae Grower

The definition can be ambiguous. It depends upon: type of food, goal(s) of the aquarist, age of fish, condition of fish.

Uneaten dead food causes a decrease in water quality, and so is an important consideration when using dry or frozen. The replies above seem to have sufficiently addressed dry food.

Live food, particularly types which can survive immersed for >24hrs, e.g. feeders, black worm, mosquito larvae, etc, can be provided in unlimited quantities to juveniles in grow-out tanks, or adult females being conditioned for breeding.

Limits are to be imposed upon adult males. This can't normally apply to keepers of community tanks, but many of us who keep Anabantoids often separate genders (the OP mentions Bettas).

If longevity is a consideration, then adult fish should be fed very sparingly (and the temperature decreased), e.g. only what can be consumed in 1 minute once a day.

The OP mentions "multiple Betta tanks." When I had >100 jars of Plakats I would feed live black worms once every 12 to 24 hours. I'd walk along the rows with a pipette and the container of worms, squirting more than each fish could eat into each jar. When I got to the last jar I'd go back to the first jar, and using the pipette I'd remove the uneaten worms. The whole process took ~20 minutes.

fishmostly.tumblr.com/post/46229711531/bettas-with-disabilities-the-untold-story-of
aquariadise.com/rosetail-betta-downside-of-beauty
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think feeding once a day is not enough or leads to over eating. Take the food you would feed once a day and spread it out to two feedings would be better for the fish. Beside I enjoy feeding my fish. They gets the all excited and some eat out my hand. My tanks are not in the living space so when I walk down by my tanks there begging to be feed some days I feed three times a day. Less is better than over feeding.
Bushkill likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can feed the fish in my pond until they are stuffed. Walk by 15 minutes later and they act like they're coming out of a 5 day fast. My wife constantly wants to feed them because they act like they're always hungry.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Water View Post
I think feeding once a day is not enough or leads to over eating. Take the food you would feed once a day and spread it out to two feedings would be better for the fish. Beside I enjoy feeding my fish. They gets the all excited and some eat out my hand. My tanks are not in the living space so when I walk down by my tanks there begging to be feed some days I feed three times a day. Less is better than over feeding.
I think it's been said here that there are lots of possible answers and only one will apply to your particular tank. But Clear Water raises a good point. If I had to guess, tanks that are only fed once tend to get overfed once. That's not pointing a finger at the IP at all, to be clear. It's just leading up to the point that human nature will push us to feed more in that one meal we offer. Most will agree that 3 smaller feedings is ideal, but lots if not most of us (me included) can't achieve that, so that two balanced-size feedings will have to do. I have 30 tanks running and there's LOTS of estimation in the process for me.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I can feed the fish in my pond until they are stuffed. Walk by 15 minutes later and they act like they're coming out of a 5 day fast. My wife constantly wants to feed them because they act like they're always hungry.
Is this a temperate species or a tropical species? Koi?

fishmostly.tumblr.com/post/46229711531/bettas-with-disabilities-the-untold-story-of
aquariadise.com/rosetail-betta-downside-of-beauty
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

I feed two times a day usually. I have cories and I always make sure to feed enough get some food to the bottom but not too much that they can't eat it all.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

I currently have 9 fish. 2 larger ones (about 1.5"), 3 smaller ones (about 1"), and 4 bottom feeders.

I feed them 5 days in a row, no more than they can eat in about 1 minute of flake food. For the bottom feeders I drop in 4 miniature sinking pellets. After 5 days they get 1 day of fasting where they can pick algae off the decoration or other plants in the tank.

So far this regiment has worked out for me. The only times any of my fish have died it was because my boyfriend did a water change (I'm not sure what he does to them lol).

I think this topic has a lot of variables. My cherry barbs have been with me almost a year and I think I am fair with feeding, considering their stomachs could not possibly be that big.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 AM
Algae Grower

45 gallon planted tank
5 corys
4 Siamese algae eaters
4 Apple snails
10 red cherry shrimp
around 40-60 ghost shrimp
1 male submissive betta
4 female submissive betta
A colony of pond snails
3 spider crabs

Actual food:
2 algae tablets each morning
Quite a good pinch of betta flake food each morning
1 Cube of frozen Blood Worms twice weekly
a slice of blanched zucchini twice weekly

Passive Food:
Plant waste
Dead Shrimp and shrimp moults
Crushed Pond Snails usually 5-15 a week
Algae grown through extended light periods

Soon to get a Butterfly fish so will also add some crickets each day

any ideas are more than welcome
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Your "spider crabs" may not be fully freshwater or fully aquatic, you'll want to research those.
The average pet store betta does not at all do well in groups. They've been bred for aggression. Even if they aren't fighting, their presence stresses each other out. Eventually you are going to have a hierarchy collapse that will be messy.
An African butterflyfish will eat your bettas once it starts to approach full size.
Your ghost shrimp may tear the bettas' fins, depending on their species.
Siamese algae eaters can get aggressive when they get larger.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=679553
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Without knowing or seeing anything; I can almost guarantee you (and all of us for that matter) are overfeeding. Underfeeding fish is something you really dont ever see in this hobby. If the tiniest bit of food does not get eaten by the fish; then you're overfeeding.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 17 tanks(72 bowfront, 2x55's, 2x29's, 2x20 highs, 20 long, 30 long, 38, 7x10's) many of which are planted; and a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank at work along with a few empty tanks here and there to be set up eventually!.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode