The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I use soil with Chicken manure if its planted tank only( No fish at all)?

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SpaceLord 
#1 · (Edited)
I am not sure if its because of some kind of protesters but my Home depot has pulled all the miracle grow organic choice(brown bag) and replaced it with " nature's care organic choice)

The primary difference is I think the nature's care organic has poltrey litter( chicken manure I assume) ? Also it said " The moisture holding power of Water Conserve® comes from nature, with cool things like yucca and coir"

Would this be an issue if the planted aquarium has plants only and no fish?

here is a PDF of the packaging for the dirt:

http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/produ...n_container/pdf/mgOrganicChoicePottingMix.pdf

*second page, bottom left are the ingredients.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm reminded of an Uncle who was into organic food. He was on his rant about how good it was for you as he opened a box of organic cereal. Mealy Bugs came flying out of the cereal box and we all started laughing. 'Well', we said, 'it's good for some things!' Sterile, well ground organic matter in soil should be fine. The problem is that soils made for gardening are not going to be of the same industry quality as those made for aquariums. I would not trust it. But if you are willing to give it a go, it will make a great experiment! I've seen a video on youtube where the guy used regular soil out of the ground that he baked in his oven to sterilize. It can be done, but you always run a risk of bacterial growth, fungal growth, and 'mealy bug' growth...hahaha.

#3 ·
What about throwing some bleach in the water, let it sit for a day then empty the water and replace it with freshwater with some prime in it?

Do you think that will kill the baceria and fungas?

Basically, I am trying to grow some drawf baby tears and Monte Carlo and other carpeting plants which have not done that great in my aquarium.

Its kind of a plan B in case the carpeting plant die in my aquarium so I have a backup supply. If I grow enough of it, I might be able to start the carpet process going with more of a supply.

What do you think?

Oven vs Bleach on the dirt?

Thanks.

#4 ·
I tend to lean towards yard dirt or pure soil with no additives but all I have read says if you follow the normal procedures mineralizing soil you will be fine. The danger you run into with manure is ammonia production at first and mineralizing solves that issue.

#6 ·
I wouldnt use bleach or an oven, can you imagine the smell if you put chicken dookie in an oven? Blech. I think simple mineralization should work for you.

#7 ·
What do you mean by " mineralization "

This will be 100% plant only 0% fish. So its basically more of a wet terrarium than a aquarium.

I don't even know if the plants will be growing in damp soil or submerged under water at this point.
This will only be plants which have the ability to grow in a terrestrial form(outside of water)

I am basically trying to keep a reserve supply of dwarf baby tears and other carpeting plants which I find hard to keep alive in my Aquarium for some reason(probably lack of C02/light/trace minerals?)

#10 ·
I think for what he is doing it will fine as it is right out of the bag.

Yep there has been dog doo tanks as well lol. I think the thread is still around but all of his posts have been deleted or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.