Mid-South Aquarium Society? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Great work! I'm really looking forward to this. I hope you're getting some responses from people that want to come, because so far I've got nothing

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I now have a flyer made up in WORD that can be printed out and hung in your local fish store or vet's office. Please PM me and I will email it to you!
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

I just got back from Bob's and happened to ask them if they've ever had any pitbull plecos. They said they were on the order list last time, but they didn't get any because they had no clue what they were. They said they weren't sure if they'd be available on the next order list, but I told them to sign me up for at least 4 if they get any more.

I don't know if either of you are familiar with these guys but they're amazing! I got the last one at Hollywood Pet Star right before winter. They only had them once and haven't been able to get any more. I can't even find anyone on the internet selling them! These guys are basically like jumbo ocats... even their scientific name "parotocinclus gigantus." They also resemble full-size plecos rather than ocats. Check out the article and stats at Planet Catfish:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2004_10.PHP

Mine is golden, but bharada got one that turned black with yellow flecks:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...=pitbull+pleco

I told them if they could get any I'd be there to help unload the truck! I highly recommend these critters. If you guys are at all interested, tell Bob and his wife so they'll know these things might actually sell.

Oh and Oqsy, I found yet another batch of borelli fry yesterday... apparently they love the microsword grass. Anyway, I bought some fry food and I'll be giving it my best shot this time.

Brent
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Brent, I was there yesterday and I could almost swear they had one in one of the front tanks. Is there another pleco in similar coloration to the pit bull?They had some really cool ones when I was there yesterday! Wish I had room for more plecos! I really want an albino BN but already have a regular one and don't think my tank could support two. The pit bull is gorgeous! I am planning to go back over there on Saturday after our meeting. Can't wait!
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Algae Grower

Nope they haven't ordered any yet. They just remembered seeing the name "pitbull pleco" on the order list and not knowing what they were. According to the planetcatfish article, there's anotehr parotocinclus species that is frequently caught and sold with the pitbull, but has spectacular almost metallic coloration.

Are you perhaps thinking of the "False Zebra Plecos" he had? The coloration is definitely similar, but they were $20 and a full-size variety of pleco. This little guy stays under 3" and I got mine for $5 or $6.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmm, could have been. Did they give you a price on the pitbull? I was expecting my BN to go for about $8 and turns out it was $15! The albinos I saw Tuesday were $22! I need to get into breeding them if they are that much!
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
Due to the thick block of ice on the roads and highways of pretty much the entire "Mid-South", the meeting will be rescheduled for another date, most likely sometime in March.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Cryptocoryne Enthusiast

Is there still any interest in a Memphis-area aquarium society?

I've just recently gotten my planted 90-gallon project going, and would be interested in getting to know any other planted-tank keepers in the area.

90 Gallon - 2xEheim 2128 - Pressurized CO2
Rex-Type DIY Reactor - AHSupply 6x55w
EcoComplete - GregWatson Ferts - EI Method
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Sparrow. Yeah, actually OQSY wrote me earlier this week and I haven't written him back yet (sorry 'bout that Chris!)

It is in the works again. Hopefully we'll have an update soon!
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via MSN to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via Yahoo to nicksgirl7705
Just thought I'd add I live in Memphis (Collierville) and Kermit's Reef was great before it closed the FW tanks. Some of the other LFS, Alpha Pets and the numerous icky Petco and the new Petsmart by Costco, are no where near good. Any other new stores open that I haven't heard about?

Heh.. got some golf ball size hail here today.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Bob's Tropicals is the best store in Memphis in my opinion. It's at the intersection of Covington Pike and Stage Rd. if I remember correctly. The plant selection isn't very large, but the fish are high quality, reasonably priced, and the people are top notch. i think that if all the planted tank enthusiasts of the area starting going there (especially if we had an organized group), they'd increase their stock to meet the demand.

Mississippimorning- I'm having issues with setting up a birthday party right now, and am not quite sure when would be best for the meeting. I've gotten a few emails from people from other boards who are interested, including the group from the smoky mountain group in east tn(again), and i think contacting them and waiting a bit to get a big turnout might be best. I have a group in my email client with all the email addresses of people interested, and I think I'll set up a mailing list type situation to keep in touch with anyone that wants to be included.

sparrow: email me at oqsy@hotmail.com with something about Memphis or Aquariums in the subject so I don't filter it out as spam, and I'll be sure to add you to the list

Eheim Pimp #171

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will second Bobs Tropicals. They really do get in some beautiful and sometimes uncommon fish. Many times they are from local breeders. My aunt brings rosy barbs up there all the time. Their reputation is “they have the most fish you can’t buy” because they will not sell fish until they have gone through their satisfactory quarantine period. They will, however hold fish for you that are not ready to sell. They will even put your name on the tank.

Plants there are iffy. I have been able to pick up some nice low-lighting types and fast growers, but usually it’s the same potted stuff found at PetCo. They will even have non-aquatics, but they will admit their plant knowledge is limited.

Another option is PetStar that I think is on Broad/Hollywood. Not a huge selection, but the guy that tends the tanks is competent and you can find common plants that the others don’t carry like java moss.

29g Planted
10g Planted
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentStl
displaced from Houston, TX where I have a gorgeous LFS I've used for over half my life.
Hey Brent, I'm in Houston. What is the name of the LFS???? I've been to most and still trying to find a GREAT one.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry I haven't been poking around here much lately. The place is called Village Tropical Fish.

http://www.villagetropicalfish.com/

If you go on the weekends, Steve is the man!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via MSN to nicksgirl7705 Send a message via Yahoo to nicksgirl7705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keck
I will second Bobs Tropicals. They really do get in some beautiful and sometimes uncommon fish. Many times they are from local breeders. My aunt brings rosy barbs up there all the time. Their reputation is “they have the most fish you can’t buy” because they will not sell fish until they have gone through their satisfactory quarantine period. They will, however hold fish for you that are not ready to sell. They will even put your name on the tank.

Plants there are iffy. I have been able to pick up some nice low-lighting types and fast growers, but usually it’s the same potted stuff found at PetCo. They will even have non-aquatics, but they will admit their plant knowledge is limited.

Another option is PetStar that I think is on Broad/Hollywood. Not a huge selection, but the guy that tends the tanks is competent and you can find common plants that the others don’t carry like java moss.
Oh, I went to that PetStar. I saw the Java Moss and was like OMGWTF and then he said he couldn't give it to me because the tanks had ich. The neon tetras (or some other tetra in that tank) had spawned all over a piece of java and that was pretty neat. I was tempted to ask for the eggs, lol.

It was nice, but the two guys working there were creepy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode