Fairly new to the hobby, are there any members in the Clarksville area? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I have the flourish and just started using it, but in the last week or so, after 2 or 3 doses, my plants started browning from the edges in on mostly old growth, but some new too. My swords new leaf growth are pale and I am working on trying to figure out the source of the problem, which is why I was looking at adding different ferts. Was thinking it was an iron deficiency, maybe. I have an order placed and should get new plants next week, so I was trying to get the issue under control prior to getting new ones so that I don't kill them! I also placed osmocote pellets under/near my rooted plants and that is something I had not done before. So I dunno if I am over fertilizing them or not.. Advice?? My setup is low light, I think, 42 or 46 BF with PFS as my substrate.. I also have a 10g with 2 CFL 6500k I am about to research to see if that is too much light.. kinda forgot about hat tank until I decided to house some plants there too. I may take you up on that subwas stuff, I gotta look it up and see what it is... its new to me. I don't want to mess with CO2, do you think maybe that is my issue?? Any advice would be great as I am limited on who I can ask, I think I do something wrong or maybe ask questions that are already covered somewhere cause when I have started threads, I don't get many responders, if at all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

i like using a little bit of excel and fermetin CO2 , but u would notice a big difference when using it , it will be just enough for low-mid level light plants to get plants growing and using nutrients ...when i first started it i watched all the algea just disapear , and it is real easy to do and setup and it only takes yeast and suger ^^ . but tbh there alot of people on here that know alot more then me but i like taking it simple and easy and try not to overthink things (especially if u not using pressurized CO2 , with crazy nice lights , larged tank ) , alot of having planted tank trial an error .. and trying things at different levels to see exactly wat works for u ^^ . and if u want swords and root feeders to grow real good is to get tabs or something . they do not get the nutrients from water column they need , best thing i ever found for it was these root spikes (have not seen in a while ) had huge mammoth size amazons , had to trade them here on site to get rid of them and got some cool new plants (subwassurtang one of them ) , and sorry if i type funny , kinda cuntry
post #33 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

oh and u will sometimes see old plants growth die a bit when u start to use excel or ferementin it yerself , i will be in clarksville on sunday , holla at me if u want to meet up and i can give ui the subwassurtang . will be in the peachers mill area and MoMo's kprean bbq for lunch ^^
post #34 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

If nothing else I can grab and give it to tlyons on Thursday. Either or

Semper Fi
post #35 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah sure, I will take some. Had to look it up to see that I would not kill it off when I got it... LOL I live off of Peachers mill and I know where momo's is, so that works for me..Let me know a time? Or I can pm you my number and you can call/text when you are in this area
post #36 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

It was nice meeting you yesterday, hope the plants do well for you.
Now if only I can finish my rescape, thought I liked how it turned out yesterday till the dust settled and realized I would rather have these over there and those moved over a little. lol story of my life. I can't leave anything alone for very long

Semper Fi
post #37 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It was nice meeting you and your pet family too, and I totally understand about the rescaping, cause even though I haven't added your plants yet, I am already looking at what I just did 3 days ago and thinking hmmm.. this needs more room. Plus your vals are so much taller than what I got, I think they deserve their own section.. And now I have the anacharis, oh the possibilities. If only I had dw to add, I wouldn't have to scape for a long time. Knowing me, I would get bored and do it anyway. Just as well, I have lots to do to learn..

I'm sure the plants will do well, as long as I keep paying attention and asking you all my questions.. lol
post #38 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

have fun and ask away

Semper Fi
post #39 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm in Clarksville too and new to the hobby of the planted aquarium. I've been keeping fish for years and even had a saltwater reef set up once upon a time. But, got a 55 gallon today. (whole set up, tank, stand and lights in great shape for 100$ on craigslist woohoo!) My husband and I have decided we want to focus more on the planted aquarium and are just starting out. We also have a 29gal with some baby tears and swords. None of them have been looking that great so when we were looking for ways to resolve this and routes to take with our new tank, we came across this site. It looks like it has massive amounts of info. Good luck with your tank!
post #40 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, thanks so much. Glad you found the forum, you will be very happy I think with the people here, most of them are super willing to help and give advice, which works out well for us newbies! Wow. 55 gallons, I would love to have more, we just ran out of room and my hubby put his foot down. I have 5 tanks, but only 2 big enough to be planted. I have learned so much in just the short time I have been on this forum. Not to mention it has sprung a new addiction for me, I can't seem to stay off of this site. It's like facebook, always calling my name...

Welcome to the forum!! If you want to have someone close by for any advice, I am here. I have also met with SlammedDC2 and got to look at his gorgeous tanks as well as ask a ton of questions. He is super nice and easy to talk to, and experienced in plants and all. I'm sure you will find plenty of help, but having people in town is a great advantage too!!

I will try and keep up with you, would love to see what you are starting with and hear about your plans! Have a great night...

Therese
post #41 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Fishy View Post
I'm in Clarksville too and new to the hobby of the planted aquarium. I've been keeping fish for years and even had a saltwater reef set up once upon a time. But, got a 55 gallon today. (whole set up, tank, stand and lights in great shape for 100$ on craigslist woohoo!) My husband and I have decided we want to focus more on the planted aquarium and are just starting out. We also have a 29gal with some baby tears and swords. None of them have been looking that great so when we were looking for ways to resolve this and routes to take with our new tank, we came across this site. It looks like it has massive amounts of info. Good luck with your tank!
Welcome, and it's nice to have another local on the forum.
Nice find on the 55g, they are a good size tank to start with. Gives you a good amount of floorspace to plant.
Swords are great plants and can get huge, but they are heavy root feeders. Put some root tabs down for the swords. You can buy them at the lfs or you can get home made on here in the power seller section for a much better price. Baby tears pretty much need co2 to survive in a tank. I'm sure there are people who have had luck without injecting, but you will have less headaches if you give it what it wants.
On the 29g you can get away with DIY co2, but anything bigger it gets to be more of a hassle and cost than it's worth. I tried diy on my 125g and it didn't really do anything but take up time I could do other things. I have since switched to compressed on that tank. The only tank I am bothering to use diy co2 is my wife's 15g. If you have any questions by all means ask. I will do my best to answer or find your answer.
I will be happy to help you get going by donating some plants in a few weeks when my tank takes off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
Welcome to the forum!! If you want to have someone close by for any advice, I am here. I have also met with SlammedDC2 and got to look at his gorgeous tanks as well as ask a ton of questions. He is super nice and easy to talk to, and experienced in plants and all. I'm sure you will find plenty of help, but having people in town is a great advantage too!!

Therese
Aww, why thank you. BTW both the 55 and 125 have changed quite a bit since you were at the house last week.

Semper Fi
post #42 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks SlammedDC2 and tlyons for the welcome! As far as the swords went, we had one to get really huge and grow out the top of our tank and when we did our last water change (keep in mind we are new to this) we apparently left the sword out of the water too long and now all the leaves have turned brown. The baby tears are not doing well either but we realized once we started reading up on them that we had several things wrong with the tank. One was we didn't have enough light, we now have 45 watts on the 29, which still isnt enough. And we were using bubble strips too, which is apparently a no-no that we discovered upon some research. As far as the CO2 goes, I'll admit I have really no idea how it plays into the plant cycle. But, I'm sure its something that we will want to use and have in our new 55. We will research that as we get to it. We are basically going to take it slow and go step by step with the 55 to assure we do things right this time around.

And right now we are focusing on our substrate for the 55. What do you guys suggest? We know we like the look of the baby tears and how they carpet a section of the tank. We have read up on the "dirt" option and are considering using the Miracle Gro that is suggested maybe with some Azoo plant grow bed mixed in and cover that with a Flourite gravel. There's lots of opinions and info out there, thats for sure!

The one reason we might not go the dirt route is we are wondering if using that will effect our water clarity. Do you have this trouble?

Last edited by So_Fishy; 01-17-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: to add content
post #43 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Fishy View Post
Thanks SlammedDC2 and tlyons for the welcome! As far as the swords went, we had one to get really huge and grow out the top of our tank and when we did our last water change (keep in mind we are new to this) we apparently left the sword out of the water too long and now all the leaves have turned brown. The baby tears are not doing well either but we realized once we started reading up on them that we had several things wrong with the tank. One was we didn't have enough light, we now have 45 watts on the 29, which still isnt enough. And we were using bubble strips too, which is apparently a no-no that we discovered upon some research. As far as the CO2 goes, I'll admit I have really no idea how it plays into the plant cycle. But, I'm sure its something that we will want to use and have in our new 55. We will research that as we get to it. We are basically going to take it slow and go step by step with the 55 to assure we do things right this time around.

And right now we are focusing on our substrate for the 55. What do you guys suggest? We know we like the look of the baby tears and how they carpet a section of the tank. We have read up on the "dirt" option and are considering using the Miracle Gro that is suggested maybe with some Azoo plant grow bed mixed in and cover that with a Flourite gravel. There's lots of opinions and info out there, thats for sure!

The one reason we might not go the dirt route is we are wondering if using that will effect our water clarity. Do you have this trouble?
The wattage to gallon rule doesn't really apply anymore. That is an older outdated method to measure your light. Now with T5, and LED's that really doesn't measure out right anymore. I have T5HO on my 125g but went with cfl on my 55g. I like that option on that size tank as it is cheaper and provides plenty of light.
As for substrate I am dirt and sand all the way. All my tanks are set up this way. I have MTS capped with PFS. As for water clarity, it is crystal clear. Now there is a slight yellowish hugh from the tannins but honestly the only time I can see it is when I look at the sump. The only time it gets a little hard to see is when you rescape and pull up roots. But that will all settle overnight and be clear by morning.
As for co2, think of it this way. You breath in oxygen and breath out co2. Plants are the opposite. They need the co2 like we need oxygen. Give them what they need and they will thrive.
You wont really need to run a bubble wand in a planted tank as they produce oxygen, the only time you really want to do that is in a co2 tank without a timer, as the plants will not be able to use the co2 with the lights off.

Semper Fi
post #44 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the response. We really want a darker (mainly black) substrate so do you think the MTS capped with a black Flourite gravel would be ok? Do you think this willl compact the MTS too much?

I can already tell that the CO2 will probably be a must on our new tank. I just hope they aren't too expensive.

Gonna try and upload some pics..

Here is the 55gal we got yesterday for $100. The guy also tossed in some heaters (300 and 200 watt) a couple of nets, strainers, decoration and a canister filter and HOB filter plus just some random things. We thought we got a great deal! Right now we are calling it "The Blank Slate." Of course the gravel will come out, it also came with the tank.

Heres the 29 gal. Its nothing fancy and all my plants aren't looking that great. You can see the sprigs of baby tears we are trying to get going, but it looks like since talking to you, that may be CO2 related. We will probably be fully redoing this tank too. We will be taking out the gravel and reworking the substrate eventually.So for right now it just houses mostly a few Cherry barbs, tiger barbs, spotted puffer, black ghost knife, a peacock eel (which doesn't seem to be a good idea with a planted tank) an upside down catfish and some algea eaters.

Again, thanks for any info or advice you can give! Hope the weather wasn't too nasty for you guys today.
post #45 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

I work inside so weather doesn't really bother me. To be honest I wanted it to rain harder to get the rest of the mud off of my truck.

I saw that 55g on craigslist, nice find, looks good and nice looking stand too.

As for the substrate, you can do whatever works best for you. I personally like sand over anything else. However if you want black there are a few options to go with, either way I would use the soil and cap it with whatever you think would look best. For black you could use flourite, or even black blasting sand. I like the sand as it is easier to get the plants/roots in vs gravel. But yes I would do some form of soil underneath whatever you choose. It gives the plants alot more to work off of with less work to you.

As for expense of co2. It is a little costly at first, but it is all an initial cost. Once that is done all you'll really have are refills. My 10lb tank will be $20 to refill.
Also buy something used. That's what I did. I found a setup on craigslist, drove to Nashville and now I'm good to go. If you get a good set up and your tanks are close together you can actually run both tanks (or even more) off the one cylinder.

Semper Fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode