The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glass Lillie pipe DIY

11K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Ahkuma 
#1 ·
The prototype for a glass lillie pipe came in the mail today. I contacted a scientific glass ware company to make the pipe for me. I will be placing a large quantity order to sell the glass return and supply in our auction area. The nipple for the suction cups needs to be reduced and the outlet lip would look better if it was more of an oval. If you are interested in making them DIY maybe contact local glass art stores, etc. I will post drawings that I made for the pipes later. I'm working on the return pipe and will get a prototype of that one next. The quantity order will be 16mm to fit more standard eheim tubing.
http://aquascapingjournals.com/forum_images/outletpipe.jpg

See less See more
#4 ·
From all the feedback I have been getting from forums, it might be better to make them myself so that I can sell them for less. If I made a large order I could sell them for $30. They seem easy to make, just need to learn a new skill, and then I could sell them for less. Maybe make a kit that includes intake, outlet pipe, clear tubbing and clear suction cups.

#9 ·
Wasserpest said:
Seems like a fragile thing to hang over the rim of your tank. I'd be worried to break it in no time...
Why? Most tanks are made of glass...

Of course, you'd need to be more careful with it than with standard plastic outlets, but good glass can be pretty strong.

#12 ·
She uses "Duran Tubing 16mm OD x 2.5 mm wall. It is also a better quality glass."

Amano uses 1.7mm (I think, from what I've read), so I purposely made it thicker so it would be less delicate. Its pretty sturdy, but yeah you have to be careful with it. Intake prototype was ordered today. Will post pics when they arrive.

#14 ·
That is very interesting, I don't understand the need for an energy dissipator though, I'd want a straight pipe entering the aquarium at least 1 inch below the water line and pointing down at 15° angle for a shallow tank (12 inches) and stepping down 5° for each 4 inches of added height so a 24 inch tank would have a 30° bend. I think the energy dissipator takes away from a current that helps plants obtain CO2 and, for some plants, nutrients.

The above is just a personal observation, it's easy to sit back and critique, it's hard to do the work and make something usefull, keep up the good work, I think you'll have a nice product regardless of armchair developers like me.

#18 ·
"energy dissipator though"

Which part is that? If you mean the dome, I think it is more for looks. The stream doesn't seem like its affected. I did ask her to make sure the output was at angle. The prototypes are still being revised, so any input from you guys will only help to make the product better. I pretty much copied the angles from the pictures.

Updates: The intake pipe was ordered last week and I should get it at the end of this week. I will post picture of the intake pipe when I get it. I found a good clear suction cup bulk provider, and they are sending me samples so I can decide which one I want to get. I also found a good place to get clear tubing. Hopefully I can get the kits completed and ready to sell sometime in august.

#19 ·
IUnknown said:
"energy dissipator though"

Which part is that? If you mean the dome, I think it is more for looks. The stream doesn't seem like its affected. I did ask her to make sure the output was at angle. The prototypes are still being revised, so any input from you guys will only help to make the product better. I pretty much copied the angles from the pictures.
Yes, I was talking about the part that gives it it's name of 'lily pipe'. The intention of that design is to reduce (gentle) the outflow current so you get less of a 'jet' effect. In a biger or deeper tank I'd want the jet effect so that the current didn't dissipate entirely without reaching every section of the tank. But, like I said, that was just my armchair developer suggestion, the gentle current is great for a smaller tank.

#24 ·
I am trying to get them finished by the 7th of august. The kits should be around 60-70$ and will include the intake and outlet pipes, clear suction cups and 7' of clear tubing. They will fit 16mm(5/8") hose sizes. Eventaully I would like to start making these myself, so the price will come down.

#25 ·
So you would put the lily pipe on one side, and the intake on the other? Or both on the same side?
Both on the same side. At the San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
meeting last weekend, a lot of people wanted a glass spray bar so that you could place them at opposite sides of the tank, so I am going to look into that in the future.

I was told that they would start on my order this weekend. Suction cups are in the mail and I found a wholesale dealer for Co2 resistant clear tubing.

#26 ·
I got the order in the mail last night. The outlet pipes were made incorrectly, so I need to redo them. The kits are going to be $70 for the intake and outlet pipes, suction cups and 7' of tubing. I think its going to be another couple of weeks for the next order, they seem busy with other orders.

The 5/8 intake pipe,

The outlet pipe that was made with a 2.5" cup by mistake,

What the corrected outlet should look like,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.