The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is anyone out there?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  WoodRiverTroutBum 
#1 ·
Wow the RI forum is extremely slow. I haven't been on the freshwater forums for a while but its crazy to see that there hasn't been a post since early 2016. It always amazes me how unpopular fish keeping is in Rhode Island.

So whats the deal everyone? Did Rhode Island give up on fish tanks or what?

#4 ·
I'm in Western Ma, but will be moving down towards Hartford shortly.
There were a couple really great people in MA, but one moved to Oregon and the other seems to no longer be active here. I need to see if I still have his contact info. It seems like a lot of the really good growers and sellers dropped off the forum.

There is a guy that used to be really active here that will be at the NEC and can get tons of stuff for you, but his contact info on the NEC website seems to be broken.

Are you going to be at the TFSRI auction on Sat?

#9 ·
There is a freshwater club that meets in the same place BRS meets. I think you can find info on the NE Aquarium webpage.
There are links on the North East Council of Aquarium Societies (NEC) website, but someone forgot to pay the bill (quite literally) and the site is currently down.

Actually, the NEC convention is this weekend. The auction is Sunday at the Sheraton in Rocky Hill, CT. $2 for a bidder's ticket. There will be a couple vendors that specialize in plants (one has mostly tissue cultured plants) and there are a lot of plants in the auction as well as a lot of really cool captive bred fish. Hopefully the auctioned plants don't get driven up to crazy prices like at the TFSRI and PVAS auctions. Single five leaf mellon sword for $16, ungodly prices for java moss.... kind of random.

#10 ·
Your pricing perspective changes when you are also a seller. :) I actually made money selling duckweed, believe it or not.

At the regular monthly meetings for the TFSRI at least, any plants and fish brought in for the breeders award program are auctioned off at that meeting. This past meeting we had some fantastic plants to grab for not a lot of money.

#11 ·
Yeah, the prices are decent for sellers, but the plants at the auctions have been far higher than retail. Single plants going for 150% of what bunches go for. A 3/4" rhizome of Anubis nana for $16. Those pots net you five or six 1/2-3/4" rhizomes.

Like you said, great for the sellers, but confusing and frustrating for the plant enthusiasts.

TFSRI is a bit far for me to make it to meetings unfortunately. You guys seem to have a decent group of breeders. The club out this was has a great group of people, but it is a bit of an older crowd and it seems like breeding programs are tapering off and interest in plants doesn't go mich beyond providing natural spawning or hiding places, so it is mostly the old standbys and simple slow growers.

I need to get some plant growout containers going for next year. Some simple setups for java moss, java fern, and find a fast growing broad leaf plant. Just use water change water for the nutrients and put some cheap LEDs over it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.