The Planted Tank Forum banner

What is this? What is it used for?

2K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  Aheartlessfish 
#1 ·
I got this along with a BRICK (literally a brick) from donna kaiser who used it for her aquariums. The brick was also clay except very very hard (ill fiddle with that later but if anyone can help me with it that be great)

I was told its clay. Shape of an m&m. Crumbles when u squeeze. When i soak it in water it melts and becomes a puffy mess with white substances.

I took the powder in its bag and poured it as a first layer (very thin) in my emersed setup, then used organic soil on top, then flourite substrate on top.

So my question is, what is this used for? how to use it correctly? What can i do with it?

See less See more
#5 ·
Run a search for "hydroton" to get some idea of what those are.

#7 ·
I thought it was hydroton at first, but it's useless in a tank. I have used it in a frog tank as an aquifier, but they never expanded when they got wet. And if the brick she sent you is the same material, i would still suspect it being clay. I have yet to see a hydroton brick. Send me a ball or two when you send me plants and maybe i can get a better idea what it is. :)

#8 ·
These look like home made root tabs that my friend used to make for me. They are made of pottery clay. Forgot the exact content but if you search on AC forum, I believe there are posts with instructions. They are supposed to slowly dissovle under your substrates.

Here is a link. Have not read it for a long time. Will read again later.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...Y-Root-Tabs&highlight=root+tabs+with+red+clay

#10 ·
root tabs aye?

i will send bill some and he can confirm it for me :D

Donna told me they were some clay substance but root tabs would be great too (since im looking for some)

Now correct me if im wrong, once i plunge these into my gravel, it will leave behind clay substance...if i ever disturb the gravel the clay will get everywhere...correct?

#12 ·
The way you use them is to buried them deep into the gravel. If you just put them on top, they will dissolve quickly. I had some issue using these a few years ago in my tank with pleco. The pleco would dig them up too quickly.

It's fine when they dissolve. The clay is very fine. If you ever look at these clay powder, they are very fine. You are most likely going to vaccum them if you ever use a gravel vac.

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
dolomite? you have extremely soft water out there? and i love dirt tanks. are you kidding me? no need for root tabs for like 2 years, give or take. yeah, twist my arm, i HATE root tabs. but i will definitely get some of those clay tabs for later on down the road. crypts are heavy root feeders and they just LOVE having their roots in dirt. and since i have crypts in every tank, every tank has dirt. especially my rare crypt tank. too many special (to me) plants to mess around with forgetting to get root tabs and the like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.