philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 163 - The Planted Tank Forum

 2Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2431 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jreich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 2,940
Re: philly area swap list. great for local pickups!

Does any one have any decent looking rocks I can make some caves with maybe some slate laying around that you are not using, and would b willing to part with for a fair price, maybe even free or some kind of trade. I'm willing to pick it up wherever. Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
jreich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2432 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Clifton Heights, PA
Posts: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
Does any one have any decent looking rocks I can make some caves with maybe some slate laying around that you are not using, and would b willing to part with for a fair price, maybe even free or some kind of trade. I'm willing to pick it up wherever. Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
I might actually have a bunch. Let me got through and take some pics

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline  
post #2433 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,668
Who wants to trade me a 55g tank for my 40B? Hurray! Another surprise post from Joe...

My 40B is just sitting empty in my basement and I'd like to give my discus some room to run and upsize the tank in my living room. Would just be looking to swap tank for tank.
GitMoe is offline  
post #2434 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jreich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 2,940
Re: philly area swap list. great for local pickups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I might actually have a bunch. Let me got through and take some pics
Sweet, thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
jreich is offline  
post #2435 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Who wants to trade me a 55g tank for my 40B? Hurray! Another surprise post from Joe...

My 40B is just sitting empty in my basement and I'd like to give my discus some room to run and upsize the tank in my living room. Would just be looking to swap tank for tank.
You know the 40b actually has a better footprint than the 55gal. For discus, I would stick with the 40B versus the 55gal. The 55 may give more length but the depth on the 40B is actually better.

Van
discusonly is offline  
post #2436 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,668
Re: philly area swap list. great for local pickups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
You know the 40b actually has a better footprint than the 55gal. For discus, I would stick with the 40B versus the 55gal. The 55 may give more length but the depth on the 40B is actually better.
I can't use the 40B where this tank is. They're in a 36bow now and have been for months. The 40B won't fit on the furniture holding the tank. The stand is only 13" front to back but 6' long. A 55g tank fits perfectly...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GitMoe is offline  
post #2437 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
I can't use the 40B where this tank is. They're in a 36bow now and have been for months. The 40B won't fit on the furniture holding the tank. The stand is only 13" front to back but 6' long. A 55g tank fits perfectly...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Before putting a 55G on a piece of furniture, you should take a little time to examine the way it's put together. When filled, the tank will approach 500 pounds. While shorter furniture may handle 3 foot tanks OK, I would be very careful with a 6 foot piece of furniture supporting a 4 foot tank. The weight isn't distributed evenly at all. The best comparison I can offer is to put your heaviest books squarely in the middle of a 6 foot long bookshelf. It will sag.
Bushkill is offline  
post #2438 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,668
Re: philly area swap list. great for local pickups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Before putting a 55G on a piece of furniture, you should take a little time to examine the way it's put together. When filled, the tank will approach 500 pounds. While shorter furniture may handle 3 foot tanks OK, I would be very careful with a 6 foot piece of furniture supporting a 4 foot tank. The weight isn't distributed evenly at all. The best comparison I can offer is to put your heaviest books squarely in the middle of a 6 foot long bookshelf. It will sag.
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing this tank thing for a while. I'm well aware of the structural requirements to hold up a tank.

Guess nobody wants to swap. I'll probably just buy a new 55 this week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GitMoe is offline  
post #2439 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
joon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 847
Send a message via MSN to joon
i need to find a glass store
need to buy glass to build aquariums
anybody knows any store in Philly or south Jersey?
joon is offline  
post #2440 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bushkill, Pa
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
i need to find a glass store
need to buy glass to build aquariums
anybody knows any store in Philly or south Jersey?
PM sent.
Bushkill is offline  
post #2441 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
joon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 847
Send a message via MSN to joon
Van
what advice do u give to ppl when u sell ur CRS?
people buy crs 20 30 40 from me they kill all
(i dont recommand first time buyer buy a lot but they still do)
and come back for more... i feel bad.....


joon is offline  
post #2442 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phila Suburbs
Posts: 132
Im wondering if anybody can lend me some advice

Im still pretty noob at this planted tank thing- I've had early luck and had some explosive growth, vibrant reds, and everything was going super

A few weeks ago I started noticing some green hair algae on my plants...ive been overdosing Excel and it hasnt made much difference.

More of a concern is that growth has slowed down and actually some of my plants look like they are withering away.

I cut the lights down, turned the Co2 up, and still dose the same EI with the 50% water changes.

Any advice?
watercage is offline  
post #2443 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Reading, Pa
Posts: 26
Since I've deployed an inline UV sterilizer my problem with all types of algae have just about disappeared. I've been running the sterilizer for over a year now, change the bulb every 6 months.

The only thing have have now is some glass algae that I scrape once a week. (This time of year because of the placement of the tank by a window.)

I also dose with excel, but it alone will not do the trick.

I also run at a ph of about 6.7.
billfromreading is offline  
post #2444 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 620
You are probably going through what I went through with selling discus a few years ago. I had a tough time in the beginning when I hear back from customer about killing a $150 discus. I later had a talk with a discus seller who does it as a business and what I learned is that it's a business if you decides to sell.

Back to the CRS selling question.

I sell my CRS as culls and tell buyers that up front unless they want specific grade. This saves me the hassle of getting pictures for folks. I only offer tips for what works for me. If someone spend money on CRS and kill them, that's not really my problem. I feel this way because I don't usually advertise to sell CRS. I know I would feel bad if the buyers are following my methods and killing the CRS.

So my advice.. If you decide to sell CRS, treat it like a business. For friends and good fellow hobbyists, I just give them away.

Van
discusonly is offline  
post #2445 of 3009 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Philly
Posts: 87
anyone got a 55gal?
chomper149 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome