Meet up to help out the new guy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Meet up to help out the new guy

Hey guys!

So I'm looking to start my first planted tank this coming weekend (April 2). This will be a heavily planted 29 gallon dirted tank. I'm looking to meet up with some local people to see their tanks and maybe ask a few questions. I live about 30 minutes from NE philly. If anyone is interested in helping out the new guy with this hobby it would be greatly appreciated. I'd also pick up lunch.

-Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Our timetables may not match up, but soon I'm switching from a planted to a blackwater setup, and will have lot of common, easy plants.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Michael,

The Bucks County Aquarium Society meets the first Thursday of each month at the Churchville Nature Center at 7:30 pm.

The Delaware County Aquarium Society meets the first Friday of each month at Holy Myrrh-Bearers church in Swarthmore, PA. Admission is free at each venue. They always have a speaker followed by a small local auction of items brought in by members....Typically hit or miss of what you might be looking for...
There is someone in DCAS that grows beautiful java fern and brings it to the monthly auction....good size lots at great prices but no guarantee it will be at any given meeting.

On May 14, the Bucks County Aquarium Society will have their annual spring auction which typically becomes a 5 hour auction of NEW items donated by Suppliers and Stores/Vendors and donations of used equipment, plants, fish, etc that either the hobbyists have grown tired of or have outgrown their tanks or the fish have spawned and they have no room for, etc.

I can tell you we will have several tank setups (used but in good condition/water tested) available, as well as a good cross section of fish from live bearers to cichlids, plecos, etc. Plants(most of the time) are always abundant as well as driftwood, stones, etc. Everything and anything you can think of.

Both sites have a Facebook page which is no charge to view/sign onto....You can post on there if there is something specific you are looking for and many times another hobbyist can hook you up similar to this site....Typically the auction prices are less than what you would pay at a store and much better quality/health.

Besides knowledge, are you looking for something specific? I was downsizing in the fall/winter so don't have too much extra right now but you never know...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Churchville Nature Center is actually really close to my house. I'm definitely going to stop by.
This tank will be my first tank (first time with plants, first time with fish, and it's dirted). Probably not the best idea to start but I like a challenge and I'm enjoying the research I've been doing on the topic. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of information that is opinions and it's difficult to tell when someone's article/post is fact or personal experiences. I was just looking for someone who had/has a similar setup that I'm going for so I can bounce a few questions. I'm sure I'll find someone at the Aquarium Society.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode