The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - ADA Mini-M: Source
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (3/100%)
ADA Mini-M: Source

For the longest time, I could not come up with a name for this tank. Then, last night, my girl and I were watching Matrix Revolutions and I noticed a distinct similarity between one of the pieces of driftwood and the spires in 01, the machine city. Look.

Rather than call the tank 01, I wanted something with a bit more punch. So I decided on Source.

Now with a name, I can finally start a new topic.

As of right now, I don't plan on adding any more plants.

I want to have a tank that says more with less. Four plants, Mini Pellia, Anubias Nana "Petite", Dwarf Hairgrass "Short", and Mini Java Fern. This will be a very slow growing tank and I expect that it will take at least six months to get to where I see it in my mind's eye. Rather than make an impact with plant density and variety, this tank will have to rely on plant health and the shape of it's growth. For example, the Mini Pellia was placed in a V shape on the two pieces of driftwood; the Anubias Nana "Petite" was placed so as to grow in an arch on the root of the left side driftwood with a bit of Mini Java Fern placed to it's left at the end of the arch.

The Dwarf Hairgrass is a very short variety. This is the plant that will make or break the 'scape. If it grows in tight and clean, the tank will look great. If it doesn't...let's not think about that, huh?

The specs:
ADA Mini-M (5 point 5 gallons or thereabout)
28W @ 10,000k from an Archaea light fixture from AFA ($60 for those about to ask)
ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil Powder
Zoo Med canister filter
Dee Eye Why See Oh Two x one for now, soon to be two
Askoll 25W heater (made in Italy; this makes it seem cooler somehow)
Fert dosing is TBD

And there you have it. Let me know what you think.

Oh, I don't know what fauna I'll be adding. Probably shrimp but not for a while. I'll be severely overdosing the CO2 for the first month or two and fauna don't appreciate that all that much.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome