The Planted Tank Forum banner

everything gone

3K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  Calmia22 
#1 ·
For those of you that watched the news tonight in Portland, my house was the house hit by the SUV. Right in the middle of all the destruction was my new 75 gallon planted tank, I was so happy with how it was coming a long. The only things we found left was the bottom of the tank, part of the hydro heater, and part of one of the canister filters. Iall the lights, rocks, fish, plants and 50 lbs of Ada all disappeared. I'm sure the fish died on impact which make me feel better but it still hurts. I'm not sure when I'll be getting a new tank, probably won't be until the house is rebuilt, but I want to thank everyone I met on here. Hopefully I can start again soon. For those that didn't see it check out any of the local news channels, koin.com , kgw.com , kptv.com , katu.com , that was my house that got hit by the DUI driver speeding at a rate of 100+. I originally got the tank so I would hobby after I had surgery, 8 days after surgery this happened. I lost everything I own, but I'm thankful I'm a live. I miss my pond, and tank but I'm fortunate. I'll post pics of everything once I have a computer again. Thanks again for the friendships, god bless
Greg

#10 ·
I am so sorry to see the destruction done to your home and tank.

When you get your new tank, pm me. I would love to give you some of my plants. I don't have anything fancy, but you can have a helping to what I got.

I can't understand why adults drink and drive. Getting a taxi home would have been cheaper for the stupid guy then hiring a lawyer and ending up in jail (I hope they lock this guy up for a stint).

Wishing you a safe recovery and a quick rebuild of your home.

#12 ·
Wow, so glad you weren't hurt seriously.

Has your insurance said anything about covering it all or does it look like you've got a fight on your hands to have everything repaired and replaced?
I don't know how the law works down there, but I suspect if this drunk driving piece of crap has any insurance it'll be him paying for it.

#14 ·
just read the news stories... the guy got out and tried to fight you??? I would be filling him full of holes if you know what I mean. He should be charged with assault with a deadly weapon and attempted manslaughter. I cent believe idiot drunk drivers get away with this! he will probably get 6 months in jail or some BS.

Come by my store, I will give you a computer if you haven't got one yet.

Brainwave PC
19665 SW Tualatin Valley Hwy
Aloha, OR 97006

#15 ·
Holy crap, you sure he didn't bring a mini tornado with him? o_O I can't believe that you were in the house when it happened! I can only imagine the terror and confusion you felt. Glad he missed ya. Hope everything goes well with the insurance company.

#16 ·
Wow Greg, that SUCKS! I hope your insurance makes you whole again and you get back on the horse as soon as possible. Man, what incredible luck you have bro!

BTW, I used to live off Tenino Ct. in that little farm-like acreage just down the street from you off 45th. This was many moons ago (1989? something like that)....Man I miss PDX sometimes.

Best of luck to you. If you need anything, shout!

#20 ·
Thanks guys, yeah he had gotten in my face, I had just had reconstructive shoulder surgery 8 days earlier and there was no way I could have taken him. I did run for my pistol, I think that made him bail. The guy got out of jail 8 hours later. The judge ( judge Wallace) didn't feel it warranted man slaughter charges. The news stations are in constant contact and are going to go after the judge. The video was aired nationwide tonight , on fox news, CNBC, CNN. We are hoping the national attention will get the judges attention. Seeing the pictures is the only way to really know how bad it was, words just can't describe. After seeing the pictures the D.A. was planning on changing charges. My insurance is state farm. yesterday they wouldn't even return phone calls. I'm not sure when I will get a tank, it will probably be 6-10 months until I get a new house, I was considering getting an edge, or spec v in the mean time. I have to have surgery again, my bicep is currently in my elbow. I'm extremely thankful for everyone's support. I'm happy my cat made it, and we saved the koi for now. Not sure how my turtles will handle being moved during hybernation. Thank you again, I love this site and look forward to getting a tank again.
Thanks
Greg

#26 ·
I looked it up. Crazy. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Just dealing with the structural damage would be enough for many to loose it, let alone surgery, pets, etc. Hang in there. I hope that guy gets locked up for a long time, and never drives again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.