Does anyone in Pdx have shrimp for sale? - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Does anyone in Pdx have shrimp for sale?

I would rather pick up shrimp somewhere close than deal with waiting in the mail.

I also can't decide what I want so whatever I can find locally will help narrow my choices down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 138
There is a gentleman in Vancouver on Craigslist who advertises on and off, I believe the last price I saw was $5/per, he says high quality CRS. The Wet Spot in Hollywood has unknown quality, unknown price CRS as well as several neocaridina colorations.

I bought some CBS off an aquatic auction site whose initials are AB and it was a super duper good experience with one seller and a less great but still totally successful experience with another, and I ended up waiting two days for one order (ordered Monday, rec'd Wednesday) and five days for another (ordered Friday, not shipped until Monday, rec'd Wednesday), which is not bad altogether. They sure are fun to watch.

I know that some other places stock ghost shrimp/grass shrimp but I have no idea about quality -- between infestations of snails, duckweed, just plain diseased stuff? Frankly there's not a ton of places in town I would willingly purchase livestock or plants from, it's a shame.

I have some mild interest in trying a meeting of GPAS to see if there's people who sell/trade there but the forum doesn't exactly set the world on fire so I have low expectations. That might be a source for invertebrates too.
jarvitron is offline  
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
I have some shrimp that I might be able to sell once I get back into the country. What kind of shrimp are you looking for?
jkan0228 is offline  
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
I haven't decided what I want so I will take what I can get what kinds do you have ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline  
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvitron View Post
There is a gentleman in Vancouver on Craigslist who advertises on and off, I believe the last price I saw was $5/per, he says high quality CRS. The Wet Spot in Hollywood has unknown quality, unknown price CRS as well as several neocaridina colorations.

I bought some CBS off an aquatic auction site whose initials are AB and it was a super duper good experience with one seller and a less great but still totally successful experience with another, and I ended up waiting two days for one order (ordered Monday, rec'd Wednesday) and five days for another (ordered Friday, not shipped until Monday, rec'd Wednesday), which is not bad altogether. They sure are fun to watch.

I know that some other places stock ghost shrimp/grass shrimp but I have no idea about quality -- between infestations of snails, duckweed, just plain diseased stuff? Frankly there's not a ton of places in town I would willingly purchase livestock or plants from, it's a shame.

I have some mild interest in trying a meeting of GPAS to see if there's people who sell/trade there but the forum doesn't exactly set the world on fire so I have low expectations. That might be a source for invertebrates too.
Last time I was at wet spot they said they don't carry shrimp because they are too sensitive


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline  
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I haven't decided what I want so I will take what I can get what kinds do you have ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know how well they're doing or if I have enough to sell but I have TT's, Fire Reds and Blue Velvets
jkan0228 is offline  
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
Well I won't have the tank set up for at least a month so keep me posted on what you have I will definetly come get some


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline  
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
Last time I was at wet spot they said they don't carry shrimp because they are too sensitive


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When was that? I called them July 28th, 2012 and had them read me a list of shrimp they had in stock, and visited the store July 30th, 2012, and saw neocardina varieties in the stock shelves as well as CRS throughout all the nano tanks across all their countertops (approximately what, like 14-20 small tanks, they were rearranging when I was in there). I do not know that the CRS in those tanks were for sale, but on the phone they confirmed they do have CRS for sale.

I would recommend calling the store instead of listening to either me or this guy, because both of our information is non-authoritative.
jarvitron is offline  
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
Just so you know, any LFS in the states that sell shrimp are most likely selling them overpriced for their quality. Getting them from breeders or hobbyists is much much cheaper
jkan0228 is offline  
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LaPine, Oregon
Posts: 605
The cheapest I have seen cherries in stores is $4 each. CRS are upwards of $10. It really would be better to go online.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline  
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Couesfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,988
I have some fire reds also. In fact 1/2 genes from JKan0228's stock.
Couesfanatic is online now  
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 138
After seeing what was in stock and the prices, I have to agree here and point out my wait time for internet bought livestock is sub 72 hours. If you can't wait that long maybe you don't actually want em?
jarvitron is offline  
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland oregon
Posts: 1,077
It's not the wait time, I used to work for a. Package delivery company that drives brown trucks. Let's just say I'm not gonna put any shrimp through the shipping process. It's cruel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline  
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LaPine, Oregon
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
It's not the wait time, I used to work for a. Package delivery company that drives brown trucks. Let's just say I'm not gonna put any shrimp through the shipping process. It's cruel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If thats the case, try to find someone in Washington, or somewhere close who breeds them, and see if you can pick up some for cheap. A bucket and a bubbler for around 8 hours works well. (my record length of time for moving fish)

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline  
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
jkan0228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 5,485
I'm back in town in a few days and can see if I have any shrimp for sale.


Sent from my fingers
jkan0228 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome