The Planted Tank Forum banner

leaves to collect on coast?

965 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Qwe 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any good leaves to collect (for tank bottoms) in the Newport/Waldport area? I'm new to the area, and not even sure what all we have for trees.

#2 ·
Hi Qwe,

Here is an article from TFH that may help you get started. There are not a lot of oaks in the NW but we do have a native alder, maples (bigleaf and vine maples), and Japanese maples grow in a lot of front yards.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Seattle!
Looking at all the trees around, I of course notice that there are tons of pine. Pine needles tend to be acidic, so does anyone know of any experiments or articles detailing pine needles in aquariums? I'm hoping to bring the pH down in my tank, so considering all the options...

#4 ·
Hi Qwe,

Regrettably "pine trees" (typically Douglas Fir, Western Hemlock, Yew, and Red Cedar) contain 'pitch'......I know that Yew can be poisonous and don't know of experiments regarding other evergreen species and aquarium.

#6 ·
Oregon Coast native here.

Alder cones and leaves are your best bet. The leaves are falling now, and are especially good for shrimp tanks, my shrimp are slowly eating away at them.

The cones are better for more concentrated tannins They are best harvested during the spring and summer when they have already shed their seeds and are starting to dry. Hard to harvest except on smaller trees, unless you got a ladder and good medical insurance. The leaves are available right now and although they don't add as much tannin as the cones, they do provide a lot of microbiological food value for fry and shrimp tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.