The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY aquarium stand lots of photos - first ever woodworking project
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru
butacska -

Thats a nice looking frame you have there. Did you and your husband design it yourselves or did you use the design from somewhere else? The design looks like a combination of different ideas I have seen on the Internet.

Originally Posted by butacska View Post
The joint is a 1 ¾ wood dowel plus 2 3inch long drywall screws topped with woodglue.
Although this joint won’t hold any weight, I wanted it to be massive.
While that joint won't be under a tremendous amount of load from the tank, your method of joining the wood makes a lot of sense. The joint comprised of butting 2 x 4s could have a tendancy of pulling apart due to the tendancy of a 2 x 4 wanting to twist. Your joint should remain sound and stay together without any problem.

What kind of 2 x 4s did you use? They look a lot like Douglas Fir.

Pre cutting all of your pieces is also a great idea. It allows you to check to make sure that your measurements between the pieces are precise which will help to make a square and level stand.

Great job!

I would like to see some full stand shots as well.

Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome