The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ohio!!!

35K views 215 replies 96 participants last post by  Snorlatke 
#1 · (Edited)
Where ya at? Lets have a roll call! Northern is better of course ;):red_mouth

I'm in Austinburg.

#3 ·
Crestline (call it Mansfield) here.

Really not looking to dive into Sulawesi shrimp right *now*. But wait until like June/July when I graduate from nursing school and I'm in 100% for sure. I hope to build a 10-12 tank shrimp system with various shrimp species, hybrids, etc. Will also be looking for other types (Blue Tigers, high grade CRS, Fire Reds, etc).

I'd like to start crossing a bunch of different types and just see what pops up. I won't release the hybrids unless something cool comes up.......rest will just go into a big tank full of random shrimp. :hihi:

#5 ·
Hi guys, I'm from Akron (44303 represent!) and am coming home for the holidays. I am about to take my shrimp tank down and could bring the leftovers up if any one person wants to buy them. I have a few cherries, minami, and snowballs all in the same tank (some say not to do this, but they are maintaining their separate lines). Please PM me if you'd like them. I'd let them go on the cheap. It would need to be Monday, Dec. 20th.

I'd be interested in trading the shrimp for rarer swords or other rosette plants, or I have some rare plants to trade if anyone has anything I want.

cheers,
joel

#7 ·
I will definitely give you a heads up when I'm ready! I'm focused on taking my 40g breeder and turning it into a shrimp haven. Going to do that paintball CO2 DIY thing along with one of those eBay filters (going to keep my XP2 as backup).

Since I'm on winter break I'm going to take down my tanks and start redoing them, getting them ready for various shrimp species. I have about 15 ten gallon tank, 65g drilled, 125g, and a few 2.5/5g tanks just sitting there. Bought all the smaller tanks for $2 each!

#9 ·
The Ohio section ain't dead after all...:sleep: I guess quite a few folks here are interested in keeping shrimps. That's great!!

I'm in Cleveland right now, and for various reasons, I quite often drive to Toledo and Cincinnati a few times a year. So, whoever located along the I-71 and I-75 wants to do a swap or whatever, just let me know.

I have RCS now, and I am getting some Fire Red flown in soon as well. I'm definitely down for some sulawesi shrimps, dirty (well, your name sounds dirty...) They are kept in temperature in the 80s, so, I think it's just safer to wait til Spring (heat pack is needed even in spring)... Did you get your cardinals yet? How well did they handle the shipping in the Cleveland winter?

#126 · (Edited)
I am thinking about getting a few shrimp but I'm not sure that driving to northern Ohio for a few shrimp would make sense...

However it seems this shrimp thing is addictive and who knows how I'll feel next summer..

I was in Zanesville a few weeks ago too! And I also like turtles!

EDIT - oops i just replied to a post that was two years old. *blush* i thought i had changed the setting to show me recent posts first.

#17 ·
Hey local Ohio-ians! Located in central Ohio, in the small town of Fredericktown. I have a small 5 gal tank where I work that has cherry shrimp in it. Just wanted to give a shout out. To bad everyone is spread out all over the state. Burks is the closest to me. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

#23 ·
no they do not have manzanita... really they dont have anything that appeals to me that i cant get my hands on cheaper... they have a large selection of freshwater fish, ok/small selection of plants...
hardscape is hit or miss, and products are mainly sera, eheim, hagen...

where do they have fencing in toledo?? university?

#24 ·
justin....Aquarium Adventure is a really neat place to visit with lots of display tanks and a large selection of freshwater and salt water fish with a small varity of plants and corals. Prices are very much inflated and are resonable when they are having their 50% off sales. They do have some wood and rocks but no manz. branches.

I will stop by if I am in the area but don't go there to buy anything unless they are having a great deal. I buy all my stuff off SnS or from Foster's & Smith. No stores geared toward the planted tank enthusist but there is not enough demand for one in Ohio.

If you are going to be in the area, send me a pm and maybe we could meet up somewhere.

#28 ·
Well, I just like how it looks and sinks to the bottom. A hair net works but it's just simpler with a steel mesh.

Sunday I went to where RMS Aquatics (Willoughby/Mentor area) used to be & found an empty store.
Also tried Something Fishy but found they're closed on Sunday & only open till 5 on Saturday.
That place later became John's Aquarium. But it has also closed down recently... RMS only has one location in Middleburg's Heights right now.

Something Fishy is specialized in cichlids if you are interested in them.

#29 ·
So few places in Ohio that are any good.

I know the two stores within 15 miles of me that aren't chain stores absolutely suck. Horrible customer service, filthy tanks, and outrageous prices.

I asked one store owner if he could order me some fish (I know he orders from the wholesaler in Cleveland). He said, and I quote, "I hand pick all my fish and don't do stupid special orders. Buy what I have or don't buy anything."

Needless to say, I've never been back to that place. Smelled like body odor anyways...

#31 ·
Why do people act like this??? There is a pet store in Mt Vernon that has special ordered fish for me but kind of get a sense they don't like to but do it for the business. In fact, I had them special order some yoyo loaches because they never had them and the lady bought extra to sell and now they try to keep them on a regular basis because they sell.

It does drive me crazy though when I walk in to see what they have and a bunch of fish have Ick or there are dead fish in the tank. They could at least put a sign on the tank that they are treating for Ick or go through and keep the tanks cleaned up of dead fish.

If the economy was better and the hobby was more popular around central Ohio, I would love to open a small fish store with live plants and supplies at a reasonable price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.