The Planted Tank Forum banner

Questions on DIY co2

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  edo 
#1 ·
I dont understand the diffusion part of this diy
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#2

How does the co2 get into the air stone? Is the pressure that great? I wouldnt think so...
Even if you take the outlet from the pump and believe it causes a siphon for the airstone/co2.. i would think it still is too weak to suck that strong.

#6 ·
I use Fleischman's Active Dry (in a jar for easier measuring), you can find it at any good grocery store in the baking section.

#7 ·
Two things about airstones on DIY CO2 systems.... first, some airstones can become brittle and crumble, the standard blue or green airstones will do this. Apparently the wooden ones won't and the sintered glass ones won't. Second, the goo that seems to grow on DIY outlets if you don't have a bubble counter/scrubber in the line, can plug up an airstone -- that can lead to the ruptured bottles although realy whatever the weakest link is will be the part to break, maybe the seal at the airline, maybe the bottle itself.

#10 ·
I will have to ask more questions on how much yeast and sugar to put in aafter i get that far.

Question though about the wood airstone- this is the one used for protein skimmers? or is there another one?

I am still skeptic about hte pressure required to push air through.

#11 ·
At one time I used a plastic airstone and it never clogges up. It doesn't bubble like an airstone hooked to an airpump, but the bubble are smaller and come out at a more consistent rate than without and airstone. My Mix is 2 cups of sugar 6 cups of water 1/4 tsp yeast and 1/4 tsp baking soda I use water that is slightly warm to the touch and I shake the mixture vigorously. I combine everything at the same time.

#12 ·
I use 1 1/2 cups sugar 1 teaspoon yeast little less than 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for each of my 2/2litre bottles with gas seperator & inline reactor for a whopping 30 ppm C02. I do both bottles at same time, I keep 2 spare bottles handy for when I need to mix again, Ill make both bottles then let them sit usually over night with cap lose, they ready to go next day, I do this usually weekly/ every 7 to 10 days.

It works well for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.