LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 148 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2206 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM
HAK
Algae Grower
 
HAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 17
Uh, most true gobies are not brackish, at all. Also, strong current is actually beneficial to a planted tank...the more flow and current actually improves plant growth and keeps water conditions optimal for many varieties of plants. I am not talking rapids here... Also, gudgeons ain't gobies, just like iridescent sharks are not sharks...
HAK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2207 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Planted Member
 
inka4041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 259
Don't forget that stiphs and rhinogobius looove to dig, and really don't want to live in pressurized co2 tanks. It's not the flow that's important to them, as much as it's the o2 levels.
inka4041 is offline  
post #2208 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 PM
HAK
Algae Grower
 
HAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 17
True about digging, my duospilus in my heavily planted mini m does not dig too much, and in the established root system its not so bad. I also don't overkill on the co2 because shrimp don't like it either, which are an integral player in most planted environments.

Your 90G hillstream is very cool, I have a much smaller version (12x12x12) open cube of that which I am looking to fill with strictly yamaya stone, hornwood and java ferns and river sand. Are you looking to part ways with any residents in that tank? Particularly the zosterophorum...my sicyop's climbed out and died after spawning post water change.
HAK is offline  
post #2209 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,270
Took the train out to the LES today in this gorgeous weather.

Pacific had:
Celebes rainbows $5 3/$10
Red indian badis $4 3/$8
Black emperor tetras $5 3/$10
Pygmy gouramies $4 3/$8

Win had some of the same stuff but he had some narrow leaf and windelov java fern. I picked up some of the ferns and some of his crypts as well.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline  
post #2210 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 165
Does Win have otto for less than $2 each? The 3 I got from FT all died and I think it had to do with how them tried to get them in the bag...
Linsanity is offline  
post #2211 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
jellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 373
Dunno about Win's otos, last time I was there, they looked terrible. No fins, no tails. T_T

I bought some really healthy and friendly ones from 123 Aquarium around the corner not long ago. 2$/ea

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie
My tanks
jellie is offline  
post #2212 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 165
that sounds bad... I usually hear good things about win's fish I guess it depends on each batch they get.
Linsanity is offline  
post #2213 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Planted Member
 
inka4041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAK View Post
True about digging, my duospilus in my heavily planted mini m does not dig too much, and in the established root system its not so bad. I also don't overkill on the co2 because shrimp don't like it either, which are an integral player in most planted environments.

Your 90G hillstream is very cool, I have a much smaller version (12x12x12) open cube of that which I am looking to fill with strictly yamaya stone, hornwood and java ferns and river sand. Are you looking to part ways with any residents in that tank? Particularly the zosterophorum...my sicyop's climbed out and died after spawning post water change.
Thanks for the kind words. The zosterophorum have been with me since the first iteration of this setup, 3 tanks and about that many years ago. They're definitely not for sale, but Frank gets them in from time to time. He's where I got mine.
inka4041 is offline  
post #2214 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 17
Anyone know where I could find some good koi or marbled (with white/peach, not the black and white ones) angels?
Valyrian is offline  
post #2215 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
Anyone know where I could find some good koi or marbled (with white/peach, not the black and white ones) angels?
I know Kissena Aquarium sells Japanese Koi. Not my cup of fish, so I didn't really look at them. Nice people there.
ryu1 is offline  
post #2216 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsanity View Post
Does Win have otto for less than $2 each? The 3 I got from FT all died and I think it had to do with how them tried to get them in the bag...
Depending on who you get at FT, some of the guys are pretty rough and short on patience. My last bee purchase had him yanking out the plastic plants sending all the shrimp scurrying all over the place. two of the three died that week. The one survivor going on 7 months now

Win breeds angels and i usually see several varieties there. Not sure what constitutes as a good Koi but Win sells small 4-5" ones.

Northern aquarium sells larger ones.

Kissena aquarium sells ones that they say are imported from a japan breeder.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
acitydweller is offline  
post #2217 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
yellowsno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bayside,NY
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Depending on who you get at FT, some of the guys are pretty rough and short on patience. My last bee purchase had him yanking out the plastic plants sending all the shrimp scurrying all over the place. two of the three died that week. The one survivor going on 7 months now

Win breeds angels and i usually see several varieties there. Not sure what constitutes as a good Koi but Win sells small 4-5" ones.

Northern aquarium sells larger ones.

Kissena aquarium sells ones that they say are imported from a japan breeder.


Agreed about ft brought home 100 cardinals 75 lived the first day

Now 50 left but the 50 are extremely healthy
yellowsno is offline  
post #2218 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 226
Anyone seen Corydoras Habrosus in any of the LFS in Manhattan?
jingleberry is offline  
post #2219 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
Anyone know where I could find some good koi or marbled (with white/peach, not the black and white ones) angels?
If you have a pond for your koi, I can give you mine because I think its unrealistic for my family to even build a pond. My dad might get pissed at me, but its for the good of the fish.
Vic is offline  
post #2220 of 4219 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 366
It's odd. I haven't been to Fishtown recently but when I did, the stock I brought home were all great, especially otos. Still kicking after a year.

SNSD~
koldsoup is offline  
Reply

Tags
apistogramma, nyc stores

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome