Fairmount Aquarium store (Syracuse NY ) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fairmount Aquarium store (Syracuse NY )

Well i though i would let all the upstate-rs know that after paying a visit to the Fairmont Aquarium store this week i would have to say they are the best store in the area for plants there normal 9 tanks of plants has expanded to i'd say about 15+- with probably 50 species of plants. all the pants looked very healthy and are under good light with no visible algae. the clerks are quit knowledgeable as well. they even said if i gave them the name of a plant they in all probability would be able to get it from there supplier.

as far are substrates are concerned they do carry Eco-Complete but at 35$ a bag way to expensive IMO, they also carry 15# bags of Fluorite at 25$ for a 15# bag i guess this is a better price after factoring in shipping but still not the greatest.

on a side note for any one who has been here in the past year they Finlay ordered the 50+ 55 gallon tanks for the expansion and will start the plumbing soon they say is should be done in a few months.

just as a side note take all the info about the expansion with a grain of salt they said they would have the expansion done last march so if its only a year late i can deal with it as long as it lives up to the owners and staffs hype.

just some info for people in the area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to chuukus
have you been to http://www.syracuseaquarium.com/fish.htm I was there once a few months ago and it was not bad at all considering I think he just started this shop. The guy seemed more knlowledgeable than any sales person ive ever talked to at a pet shop. His website is not done yet but I think it looks promising. We need a good aquarium supply store here in upstate ny. They are so few and far beetween I was considering traveling to rochester and buffalo to search for a reputible fish store.

The last time I went to Fairmount Aquarium I was verry dissapointed with the service and im not verry picky either. I searched the whole store and never saw a single plant. It is good to know that they have plants now. Thank you for posting this info because without it I would have never gone back and wouldnt have known they are expanding. Could I ask you to test your memory and name some of the plants they had for sale?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i relay dint recall any thing they of course had the normals stuff swords java fern moss they had one vall that had nearly 1" wide leaves they also had a variety of red plants basically they have most of the stuff that is traded on here sorry i cant be of more help if you are looking for some thing just call they will go look at there tanks

by the way are you a member of the central NY aquarium society. http://www.cnyas.org/ i plan i joining them at there next meeting provided i dint have to travel for work.

yes i have been to the Janesville's fish store he is who i normally get my stuff from they have been there for years. the owner and his son are very knowledgeable and nearly all there fish are wild coughed at least the cichlids are. the plays and what not are most likely not. what did you think of that planted tank in the back i know there isn't much water scaping to it but its always healthy and he does virtually no maintenance to it.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by metageologist View Post
i relay dint recall any thing they of course had the normals stuff swords java fern moss they had one vall that had nearly 1" wide leaves they also had a variety of red plants basically they have most of the stuff that is traded on here sorry i cant be of more help if you are looking for some thing just call they will go look at there tanks

by the way are you a member of the central NY aquarium society. http://www.cnyas.org/ i plan i joining them at there next meeting provided i dint have to travel for work.

yes i have been to the Janesville's fish store he is who i normally get my stuff from they have been there for years. the owner and his son are very knowledgeable and nearly all there fish are wild coughed at least the cichlids are. the plays and what not are most likely not. what did you think of that planted tank in the back i know there isn't much water scaping to it but its always healthy and he does virtually no maintenance to it.
I was considering joining dewwit is about 40 mins from me it definetly looks like a good place to meet people and exchage information. I think ill be a member soon.

Sorry I thought the jamesville place was new mostly because the website is new and when I was there it looked like he was setting up some tanks. Im so glad to hear the cichlids are wild caught ill be getting some dwarf cichlids from him definetly, thanks for the heads up.

Its really nice to meet a fello planted tank enthusiest in my area maybe we can do some plant swapping sometime.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

good to see some locals

Hi, good to see some locals on the forum. I havenít been on this site for some time now.

the monthly meetings in Dewitt is a pretty good group to belong to. I a new member and due to school and work I havenít been in a meeting for a few months. I do however plan on attending this months meeting on the 21.

Syracuse aquarium up in Jamesville is the best by far! the customer service and they way they value their customer is by far worth the ride(N.Syracuse). the customer service at Fairmount had disappointed be in the past not once not twice for one to many times. I had spend hundreds of dollars (before I found out of Syracuse aquarium) and each time they treat me like a stranger. I believe they are over priced and the staff has little to no knowledge of the hobby.

well, hope to see you guys at the meeting on the 21!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi wildiana is there a lot of planted tank folks in the club?

I know what your sayin about fairmount aquarium I have been there before trying to buy a whole setup Aquarium stand filter substrate. I was ready to spend lots of money and then a bunch of school kids came in like 10 kids only one was buying a gold fish. all three of the staff would not help me wouldnt answer any of my questions it was rediculious.

Anyways jamesville aquarium is the place that I go to from now on. He is always heplfull and kind
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuukus View Post
Hi wildiana is there a lot of planted tank folks in the club?

I know what your sayin about fairmount aquarium I have been there before trying to buy a whole setup Aquarium stand filter substrate. I was ready to spend lots of money and then a bunch of school kids came in like 10 kids only one was buying a gold fish. all three of the staff would not help me wouldnt answer any of my questions it was rediculious.

Anyways jamesville aquarium is the place that I go to from now on. He is always heplfull and kind
Hey chuukus! not sure about the rest of the group members, but there is one guy that in my opinion is a expert. you may have read his articles or his responds to some post, he goes by Bviking. plenty of knowledge and grows healthy plants and shrimps.

Syracuse aquariums also buys anything you bring them for store credit. I have a few dozen of albino pleco and they alway buy them off me.

anyway, hope to see you at the meeting
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

sorry, it actually beviking, search his name he has some pics of his tank up.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45182475uvmuqX
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice to see another person on here from the Syracuse area and you are right Janesville is the best i only go to Fairmont when I'm looking for plants since they have a much lager selection than Janesville

hope to see you guys the 21st
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just wanted to share something with you guys. I was just browsing syracuse craiglist and saw there was a guy selling a 180gal tank for $400 or best offer. I got really excited because I have the money but disaster struck and now im buying a new hot water heater insted. Ohh well life goes on. I just thought I would mention this deal in case someone here is interested. If someone is interested bring strong men with you to pick it up he said the tank weights around 400lbs.
I tried posing the link but for some reason it diddnt work I will try agian after dinner.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if i only had a house and not a apartment o well their always seems to be large tanks on there for reasonable prices
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Planted Member

Hey metageologist and chuukus, good to see some locals! I'm not sure if it's the same expansion they started yearS ago but I'm betting it is. As chuukus pointed out, disaster strikes at the least opportune time and I can't imagine how it's going for them at Fairmount. It is a nice place to visit and I've found the people helpful most times. I didn't realize Wil that you had so many disappointments. I guess when you get big enough, you have to employ people that as helpful as they'd like to be, they aren't necessarily the best candidate and they certainly aren't going to hire a staff of biologists I think that is part of the reason Syr. Aquarium has a limited website...it's two people running the show. That in itself amazes the hell out of me! Not the flashiest place but it's certainly cool enough

By the way, the meeting's location is the Dewitt Community Room but it's actually in East Syracuse, near Carrier Circle. It's a little confusing the first time to get there. If you were on Carrier Circle, head east on 298 and go past the hotels, turn right onto Kinne Street (at traffic light) and make an almost immediate left turn onto Sanders Creek Parkway. It meanders around a little, watch for a 3 bay firehouse (3 big garage doors) and it's the room with all the windows just past that. You make a right into the parking area after the firehouse. Hope to see you all at the meeting!

Bill (E. Syracuse)
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey bevking I couldnt help but be impressed by the pics of your planted aquariums. I was even more impressed and intrigued by the diy CO2 diffuser using the PVC tee and the rena micro bubbler Im setting up two small tanks about 30 gallons each and was wondering if you can comment on how good they work because they seem like they would work perfect inline with my canisters. Do they give the tank a misting effect? Im looking for something I can run Inline, not a reactor because they slow the flow too much. I think its a genius idea. Thanks for the directions they are verry helpfull.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey beviking

yes it is the same eqspansion they started years ago the one they said was gona be done last march. im very hope full though the new tanks are on order and just a side note on mondays they sometimes have used tanks for sale most are 20gal and some 30 and 40 for 5-10 dollars not sure about the 40's there not to common.

i think the best guy to deal with is the guy with the long hair he seems to know most stuff and knows the stock very well.

and thanks for the detailed directions to the meeting now i just have to find some thing to kill 2 hours after work next wednesday.

i spoke to the jamesville guys a couple of months ago and they are in the process of building a new site but with only the 2 of them it could be a while
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

Hey I recently moved to Syracuse from the Toronto area. I've checked out both fairmount and the jamesville store so far. Are these stores good about bringing in requests and harder to find fish? I'm thinking of getting some fish from Frank's aquarium online store but would rather buy local if possible.

I've heard about a store called Ack's that is supposed to be in the area. Anyone been there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode