Fairmount Aquarium store (Syracuse NY ) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Planted Member

Hey chuukus, thanks for the compliments. With all due respect, I took the idea from the inline glass diffusers already on the market. I was already using the microbubblers and though, "why can't this be inline?" so I did it. It works great and yes, you get a misting affect. I haven't used a CO2 setup that doesn't at one time or another. With good saturation and nutrient levels, the oxygen produced by the plants will add to it. Lower light, slower growing plants with lower CO2 levels etc don't produce as much so it doesn't look like your tank is filled with seltzer water

Hey metageologist, thanks for the info. $5-$10 for tanks!?!? Wish I knew that a long time ago. The Embassy suites hotel just off Carrier Circle has a nice foyer with a pond, koi, flowing stream and walkway. It's pretty nice. Just make it look like your checking the place out for potential future stay. They may even have happy hour there? I thought Syr.Aq. was moving but things didn't work out. They had their eyes on a couple places but the people were just asking too much. I'll have to ask next time I'm in. I don't think they are building it though. They were working on a grow out building or some such thing and I suggested a greenhouse Of course I volunteered to help out setting it up and all too.

Hey 66 north, welcome to CNY! I don't know about Fairmount (although a phone call would let you know quick) but Syr. Aq. can get all kinds of stuff. I believe his suppliers are limited to a certain few portions of the world so they may not be able to get everything, but again, a call would be worth it! While I'm on the topic, the cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras (two typically fragile species) are superb at Syracuse Aquarium! Every time they get them in they just look super healthy! Haven't been to Acks yet though I heard the fish section is more salt water and not very large. I'd like to stop in and check it out though! Anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

where is acks.

and second syr aquarium can get most fish they have a broded seletion in the summer and one in a while he gets in some bolivian blue rams that are some of the best i have ever seen. i dont know what he can get for plants iv never realy asked. but i was told by fairmount if they could find it they would get it for you.

hope to see all you people on wednesday my name is scott
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

Cool, I was hoping to get some pygmy cories and bororas. I'll give syr aquarium a try. I got some ottos and threadfin rainbows from them last weekend and all appear really healthy so far. I'm pretty busy here so far but hopefully i can make it out to a meeting.

Kevin
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hey 66 North change your location people might get the wrong idea and think your a kanook a
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM

I have to agree with metageologist on the plants... I think that Fairmount Aquarium actually has a far better selection of plants and fish and their staff is more knowledgeable than many stores in the Syracuse area that I have visited... As for the expansion, I've heard some figures of how expensive it is and with the economy I am not surprised at how long it is taking... I've heard by the end of April and I'm excited
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Old thread, but im bumping it anyway. Nice to get some info on stores in syracuse, and nice to see atleast a few kind of local members! Here in ithaca we only have 2 choices for fish stores...one in the mall (which in all honesty kind of sux at this point, but the owner is a great guy, and will try his best to get what you are looking for) and petsmart. Petsmart is the better of the 2. haha Have to drive atleast 45 minutes to get to another store, and so far I havent found one worth the trip more than once.

I actually just asked a girl i know that lives in syracuse to try to gather some intel for me about what the best shops in syracuse are, so seeing this is funny timing! But asking someone who isnt a fish person to decide which store has the best fish and selection doesnt always work out right. lol

Does anybody have any other recommendations for good stores in the area besides fairmount and syracuse aquarium??? Not only for just a decent plant selection, but also for good quality fish?
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

replying to your old post but fairmount and jamesvill are the best in all of the syracuse area

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

did they finish the new room in the back yet? last time i was there was about a year ago. tropical grotto is utica has some unique things from time to time. its a smaller store tho.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nope not yet there still doing the plumbing but the tanks are in and they are selling may used tanks.

10 gal 15$
20 gal standard 20$
20 gallon long 25$
30 gallon 35$

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Hey, Good to know that there are some people that have tanks in the area of syacuse. I live in cortland ny thats about 30 min from carrier dome. I was wondering if any stores carried german blue rams in syracuse. Also anyone have an aquaclear 20 and some anubias for sale? Thanks so much

Also if anyone wants to drive... Go to binghamton, they have a store called creature comforts and that store has like 20 sw tanks like 6 rows of fish tanks, probably over 100 and they have like 3 holding tanks just with plants.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

syracuse aqaurium has some beutiful blue rams last week http://www.syracuseaquarium.com/

since you live in cortland you should make the drive to syracuse every 3rd wednesday a month and attend out local aquarium club meetings always lots of plants for auction. i just picked up a Anubias coffeefolia that was about 1' long and 8" tall.

http://www.cnyas.org/

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
I would but im only 14 =/
Also Does any one seel annbias packages, I would really want to attend mettings but i won't be able to.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Also anyone else sell red cherry shrimp? I already got a seller but i would like another group of 10-20 to mix genes around. Thanks
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
Also anyone else sell red cherry shrimp? I already got a seller but i would like another group of 10-20 to mix genes around. Thanks
the jamesville store has them evenr other week normaly just give them a call and let it ring he gets busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
I would but im only 14 =/
Also Does any one seel annbias packages, I would really want to attend mettings but i won't be able to.
neither store normaly has them, did your first group come from a local supplier.

as for the club depending on how your parents would react i belive there are member in that area that would probaly be more than happy give you a ride.

http://pets.dir.groups.yahoo.com/gro...&sec=dir&slk=9

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well im gonna probably buy 10-20 chery shrimp of chuukus. Then another 20 at apc that is 20 shipped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode