Discus Quality Review- Mr. Wang at KHS Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Discus Quality Review- Mr. Wang at KHS Aquarium

Hi All,

I've purchased many discus from Mr. Wang at KHS Aquarium in Flushing Queens. He used to have a store in Elmhurst and he had a lot fish tanks full of discus at home as well.

Now he opened up a new store on Northern blvd in Flushing. I want to hear from people who also puchased discus from him in the past.

I think he imports discus from Hong Kong (Wayne's Discus) because all his discus fit the description of Wayne's discus. He gets good quality discus sometime, but not so good discus other time. I went to KHS two weeks ago and he just turned down the water temp to 78F and let those left over discus get sick and die in the tank. They were in very bad health condition when I was there. However, it was a different story when I was there three weeks ago when there are still some good quality ones in the tank.

I am back to Discus keeping after a 10 year break. I feel I really do have this thing with discus after trying to keep many other fish species. In the end, I chose discus.

What do you guys think about Mr. Wang's discus in terms quality?

I have been to Simply Discus lately and also done some research on the internet. Kenny's Discus seems very popular among the hobbyist. I've sent emails to Kenny. But I did not get a reply. So I think he is very busy dealing with his regular customers and not interested in getting any new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Kenny's current batch is sold out, and I think he's taking some R&R until the next batch comes in, hopefully this weekend he will post pictures. I am going with Kenny 100%, his service is unmatched.

As far as Mr. Wang, I've never heard of him. But any vendor out there, who would turn down the temp so the fish would get sick and die doesn't even deserve the words I am typing right now my book. There are plenty of hobyists out there who would have adopted his fish, if he didn't want them anymore!

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Btw I am placing an order as soon as the pictures are posted!!!

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
Btw I am placing an order as soon as the pictures are posted!!!
What is R&R? Do you know how much shipping cost Kenny charges? I'm in Queens.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
What is R&R? Do you know how much shipping cost Kenny charges? I'm in Queens.
R&R - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%26R_(military)

No idea. My guess would be around $100 to your home, or half of that to the local airport if there are direct flights. I am either getting them shipped home or to Newark. Just not sure yet if I want to deal with the hassle of going to Newark and finding there where my fish are.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014

Last edited by nvladik; 03-06-2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: link fix
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rest and relaxation
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik View Post
???
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
Rest and relaxation

I can definitely lay back and relaxed while watch my discus in my planted tank.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
???
The link was bad, I corrected. Link to R&R definition on wikipedia.

NIKON pimp #017
Sump pimp #014
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

You need to be the first ones to pick the discus to get good ones. I remember 2 years ago before his shop burns down. He brought in 7" legit size blue turks. They were all fat, very round and big. It was his biggest shipment that year. People like Hans and Kenny would have priced the crap out of those fish to $250-300. Mr. Wang still sold them at only $150.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Any idea he still does he still import Wayne?

JC
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
I get my discus madness in union nj. About 45 mim drive from queens. Good quality stuff, just need to make an appointment.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczz1232 View Post
Any idea he still does he still import Wayne?
I am not sure where is he iimporting discus from now. But I recall seeing discus post from Wayne Discus posted on the wall of his basement at home many years ago. He did not tell me where his discus originated.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by derunren View Post
You need to be the first ones to pick the discus to get good ones. I remember 2 years ago before his shop burns down. He brought in 7" legit size blue turks. They were all fat, very round and big. It was his biggest shipment that year. People like Hans and Kenny would have priced the crap out of those fish to $250-300. Mr. Wang still sold them at only $150.
I agreed. The good ones normally gone fast. So you need to be there early to get to pick the best one from the shipment.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Algae Grower

Ive bought quite a few discus from Mr Huang back in the days. His discus supplier was always Discus Sanctuary from Malaysia. He use to supply many of the other LFS with discus and if you wanted pick of the shipment, you would have to be there the day of shipment to get the really nice fish. Back then Discus Sanctuary would post a list of what was coming in to Mr Huang on another forum and when the shipment was due to arrive. I always made sure to be there the day of shipment and was rewarded with some really nice fish. I even helped Mr Huang unpack and acclimate a huge shipment from DS at his home one time, and while i was there the owners from other stores would come in and get what they wanted. I have not been to his new store yet as I no longer keep discus, but I am disturbed to hear that he would intentionally drop the temps on the tanks. If that is what is going on, i would steer clear. Kenny and Hans are top notch and you cant go wrong with either. If you see something you want from Kenny when his new shipment comes in, make sure you call right away, he sells out very quickly. If you are looking for breeding stock then look no further than Hans, he sells some amazing adults and proven breeding pairs. His prices seem to be a bit high, but you get what you pay for, and Hans fish are AAAA+++++ quality.

- Ruben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode