Discus Quality Review- Mr. Wang at KHS Aquarium - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodOnMyRod View Post
Ive bought quite a few discus from Mr Huang back in the days. His discus supplier was always Discus Sanctuary from Malaysia. He use to supply many of the other LFS with discus and if you wanted pick of the shipment, you would have to be there the day of shipment to get the really nice fish. Back then Discus Sanctuary would post a list of what was coming in to Mr Huang on another forum and when the shipment was due to arrive. I always made sure to be there the day of shipment and was rewarded with some really nice fish. I even helped Mr Huang unpack and acclimate a huge shipment from DS at his home one time, and while i was there the owners from other stores would come in and get what they wanted. I have not been to his new store yet as I no longer keep discus, but I am disturbed to hear that he would intentionally drop the temps on the tanks. If that is what is going on, i would steer clear. Kenny and Hans are top notch and you cant go wrong with either. If you see something you want from Kenny when his new shipment comes in, make sure you call right away, he sells out very quickly. If you are looking for breeding stock then look no further than Hans, he sells some amazing adults and proven breeding pairs. His prices seem to be a bit high, but you get what you pay for, and Hans fish are AAAA+++++ quality.

- Ruben
I am not sure whether Mr. Huang intentionally turned down the water temp in his discus tanks. But I just found it is odd to see that happening in his tank. Or just by accident or one of his store staffs did it without notifying Mr. Huang.

Anyway, Kenny and Huang seem great seller to deal with after hearing so many good stories about them. Too bad they are not local in my area, the shipping cost just kills my desire to order fish from them. I did see the new green discus from Kenny this month and they are cost $800 to $1400 each? That turns me down.. The price they want would never be justified to me. And Han's jumbo discus cost $300 a piece. I think I may be able to afford some of that if I hit PowerBall jackpot. I know some people are willing to pay that much money for their fish and many would disagree with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Algae Grower

Wayne's adult fish cost alot. It should be 600-800 for an adult. 6.5-7" it comes with a certificate from Wayne.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by derunren View Post
Wayne's adult fish cost alot. It should be 600-800 for an adult. 6.5-7" it comes with a certificate from Wayne.
It's the hobby of wealthy..
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Show Quality Discus will cost a lot money..... just like Japanese Ranchu!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramawo View Post
Show Quality Discus will cost a lot money..... just like Japanese Ranchu!
I understand that. But not all of jumbo size discus are show quality.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Algae Grower

The jumbo ones Han sells should be 6.8-7.2" I bought them before. If you get the regular adults they are 6.25" when it comes with discus no matter who u buy from you really want look at the fish in person because it is harder to see defects with photos and videos.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Algae Grower

My spent about 4k in discus and 5 years later all dead. I would not do it again. Do not buy in to expensive ones.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I understand that. But not all of jumbo size discus are show quality.
Not really, price of discus is based on their size, shape, color and pattern.
If you don't want to spend too much money, try to get some juveniles, rasie them a few years. you might lucky to raise them to jumbo size. Well, I suggest you should search the local breeder who has discus for sale. you might lucky to find some cheaper discus with good quality. Good Luck !
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had once found two breeders out at Long Island many many years back. One guy who seems retired and turned his garage into a fish room. I bought snake skin from him. I think his name is Gill or something.

Now I couldn't find any breeders that breed quality discus near me. At least within a reasonable driving distance.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Algae Grower

There is a reason for the high price tag of adult or show sized discus. The amount of time it will take for you to feed and grow up a fish to that size , you are better off paying the price for an adult fish. Discus needs lots of food and lots of water changes when they are growing, if both are not provided you will end up with stunted fish. The amount of work that it takes to raise discus from fry to adult size is not for everyone, and becomes very time consuming and expensive if you consider the amount of water, electricity and food required to get them to that size. You can buy some good quality juvies from a good breeder for a decent price and you can grow them out to adults with proper care. The important thing is to get good quality stock. If discus are provided with very warm water, clean water and lots of good food, they are as easy to keep as any other fish, and will provide you with many years of enjoyment. One day when i retire i would love to own them again, but only with an automatic waterchange system installed in my fishroom.

- Ruben
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm afraid I would be too old to do anything when I'm retired (if that really happens), let alone setting up an automated w/c system and dozen fish tanks to breed discus.

That's why I want to enjoy this hobby while I'm still can.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
I had once found two breeders out at Long Island many many years back. One guy who seems retired and turned his garage into a fish room. I bought snake skin from him. I think his name is Gill or something.

Now I couldn't find any breeders that breed quality discus near me. At least within a reasonable driving distance.

Im getting discus soon, I got great reviews from someone about a breeder in NJ , Discus Madness website looks pretty kool
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post

"Back in the day" I've heard of the guy that you were talking about, but never had any dealings with him.There were two Discus breeders in LI that I knew of. Both which I used to be friends with and just lost touch over the years. There was Ellen Halligan who owned "LI Discus" but she was based out a fresh meadows. She was the one who got me into the hobby in the first place. Then there was Mark who owned "Nassau Discus" he was based out Hicksville for some time but then moved. Ellen gave up the hobby and I lost contact with her after that. Mark also sold his business and I think Ted Heinz took over Nassau Discus which I am not sure if it is still in business or not, but the website is still up. I currently have a dozen discus that I own for myself. With 2 breeding pairs.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by derunren View Post
My spent about 4k in discus and 5 years later all dead. I would not do it again. Do not buy in to expensive ones.
They were all dead 5 years later due to old age? Discus can live up to 15 years.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCzBuBba View Post
"Back in the day" I've heard of the guy that you were talking about, but never had any dealings with him.There were two Discus breeders in LI that I knew of. Both which I used to be friends with and just lost touch over the years. There was Ellen Halligan who owned "LI Discus" but she was based out a fresh meadows. She was the one who got me into the hobby in the first place. Then there was Mark who owned "Nassau Discus" he was based out Hicksville for some time but then moved. Ellen gave up the hobby and I lost contact with her after that. Mark also sold his business and I think Ted Heinz took over Nassau Discus which I am not sure if it is still in business or not, but the website is still up. I currently have a dozen discus that I own for myself. With 2 breeding pairs.
That's it. Mark and Gill out in Long Island. I bought a very nice 2" snakeskin, the biggest in the batch from Gill. I think Mark got some discus from Stendkar. But I did not buy any. He showed me his huge planted tank in the living room and his wife drives a Porsche.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode