The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 in NYC

4K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Bluek24a4 
#1 ·
So I am planning to set up a CO2 enriched 40 gallon aquarium. Where do you guys go to get your CO2 tanks filled? I live in Manhattan and like a true Manhattanite I would prefer not to leave the island! Anyone use McKinney welding supply on the west side? Thanks!

#7 ·
Well, if you are using the smaller 20 oz tanks you can always get those refilled at Stingray Optics; I too hate to leave the island but it is only four stops on the L train in Brooklyn and the store is literally feet away from the subway stop; quick in, refill, and quick trip back to Manhattan :)

#25 · (Edited)
oh and that chelsea place? that's the cost for just refills, not purchasing that 5lb tank.

so anyhow i just pulled the trigger on an online purchase for $66 shipped for a 5lb - i figure it'll come the same time the bettatail regulator will, i'll head over to chelsea for that 20some buck fillup, and bingo - aluminum tank filled for 80 bucks.

aluminum is lighter, good because i'll be backpacking it in the subway. also, better Wife Acceptance Factor in the living room, can't hide it anywhere!

#26 · (Edited)
Wow! Just left McKinney's on 52nd and 11th Ave. Time to swap a shiny new aluminum 5lb with a shiny aluminum full tested with label 5lb? 1 second. $15 to swap, that's it! Love it!

And just got the notice that the Bettatail regulator is waiting at home - bye bye API CO2 booster dosing liquid!

#27 ·
I am looking for Co2 fill too but I'm located in queens. I suggest calling welding supply stores. I called these below and got a quota;

Atlantic Industrial Gas Inc.
97 Georgia Ave
Brooklyn NY 11207
(718) 385-3517
For a 10lb tank they said it cost about $22.

Airweld (Maspeth location)
44-23-54th ave
Maspeth, NY 11378
(718) 392-6940
http://www.airweld.net/locations.html
They have several location but i called the closest one to me. They stated that it runs for about $23 for a 10lb tank.

T.W. Smith (Brooklyn)
885 Meeker Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11222
(718) 388-7417
There is 2 locations. I called the one in Bkyn and the other is in Staten Island. The guys reports they usually switch cylinder if I want to fill it to come before 1PM. It cost $32.55 for the fill of a 10lb tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.