Maybe visiting NYC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Maybe visiting NYC

Hello New York!

I've got some 2012 vacation time to use up before the end of April and I'm trying to decide where to go. I was thinking of going to Boston to change things up, but I realized that I've only ever been to New York City for NYCC conventions without having much time for anything else in the city. And since I'm driving, I figured maybe this would be a good opportunity to do a little shopping and hit up some aquarium shops or similar stuff.

So what do you all think? What's the most mind-blowing local shops you know of? Or any other suggestions for fun things to do (not necessarily just tourist traps) in the city are definitely also welcome. I'll probably be going mid- or late April for 4 or 5 nights.

Thanks!
j

P.S. I saw the thread for LFS in NYC, but it's over 200 pages long and I couldn't really understand the abbreviations used for some of the shop names I came across, so I apologize in advance for not being able to find info on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi J, welcome to our city. have a look at the LFS directory also under our New York subforum. If you were coming in early april there's a GCAS auction where deals can be had. I picked up 19 white clouds for like $8 at the last one. Livestock may not work for you but they had canister filters, plants and other aquatic things.

Definitely check out the sites and each borough. You'll find that our LFS vary greatly by stock and price so visiting a few may be worth the trip if you can score something to travel home with you.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh wow, I hadn't seen the list you're managing. (I had only seen the other thread with a different title and no clear list.) That's definitely something that could help me out.

And yeah, although I'd love to bring livestock home if I find any "coups de coeur" (love at first sight, basically), I don't know how well they'd do during the drive. Maybe some shrimps, but if anything it'll likely be plants or hardware. Mostly I just like exploring though, so it works out.

I'd love to hit up a group meeting (assuming my Google fu was correct and GCAS is Greater City Aquarium Society), but I don't think I'll be able to find any reasonable hotels on such short notice. But thanks for the awesome help!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

to help you out. LFS list in NYC. these are all drivable in the area. Its an exhaustive list collated from everyone's input here.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
to help you out. LFS list in NYC. these are all drivable in the area. Its an exhaustive list collated from everyone's input here.
Yeah I found it via the link in your sig after your last post! Thanks again.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also you need to say what youre into/hobbies and things you like for people to actually give you good suggestions on where to go!

Shoulda went to boston for pax east
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Also you need to say what youre into/hobbies and things you like for people to actually give you good suggestions on where to go!

Shoulda went to boston for pax east
...Of course I should mention that. It only makes too much sense for me to think of haha

As for aquariums, I'm into freshwater nano scapes. I've got a 20 gallon stocked with boraras brigittae, microdevario kubotai and clown killifish, as well as a healthy colony of RCS. No CO2, some dry ferts and excel dosing, but that's about it. So if I buy anything, it'll be some shrimp, some easy plants or moss (god I love mosses), and/or a new nano tank.

As for the rest, I already plan on spending some time in Central Park and maybe going to the zoo. I like pubs and casual bars, but not clubs. Books, assorted and various geek and nerd stuff (videogames, collector items, etc.), writing. I like wandering around more than driving places, so the car will likely spend the week parked somewhere while I train/bus around if I end up in NYC. I'm pretty open to most anything and like the idea of adventures into the unknown. Like a friend mentioned to me that there's a bar that's also an arcade somewhere in NYC? I might try to track that down haha. Oh, and I'm a 27 year old guy, so that might help me avoid suggestions like the Princess' Playland (made-up store name, but you get the point :P).

And YES! PAX! If only I'd thought of it earlier that would have likely been a great idea for Boston haha I could make NYCC my fall nerd-out, and PAX my spring one :P
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There could be more than one of those arcades/pubs but when I went to one in brooklyn, there were probably less than 15 machines and the games were like asteroids with the roller ball controller, nothing cool like spy hunter, frogged, donkey kong.

Have a good time when you're here! I love Montreal, my friends and i always go to Katherine Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCanuck View Post
...Of course I should mention that. It only makes too much sense for me to think of haha

As for aquariums, I'm into freshwater nano scapes. I've got a 20 gallon stocked with boraras brigittae, microdevario kubotai and clown killifish, as well as a healthy colony of RCS. No CO2, some dry ferts and excel dosing, but that's about it. So if I buy anything, it'll be some shrimp, some easy plants or moss (god I love mosses), and/or a new nano tank.

As for the rest, I already plan on spending some time in Central Park and maybe going to the zoo. I like pubs and casual bars, but not clubs. Books, assorted and various geek and nerd stuff (videogames, collector items, etc.), writing. I like wandering around more than driving places, so the car will likely spend the week parked somewhere while I train/bus around if I end up in NYC. I'm pretty open to most anything and like the idea of adventures into the unknown. Like a friend mentioned to me that there's a bar that's also an arcade somewhere in NYC? I might try to track that down haha. Oh, and I'm a 27 year old guy, so that might help me avoid suggestions like the Princess' Playland (made-up store name, but you get the point :P).

And YES! PAX! If only I'd thought of it earlier that would have likely been a great idea for Boston haha I could make NYCC my fall nerd-out, and PAX my spring one :P
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check out

Forbidden Planet
maybe Midtown Comics
Barcade

Central park is cool, the zoo is right there, though I advocate the bronx zoo. Aquarium is unfortunately not open but Coney Island should be open when you get here

Brooklyn Brewery gives tours

LFS in manhattan: Wins, Pacific, 123, Aquastar
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Viva.....Barcade....is that in Times Square? Like a really "blue" spot (I literally mean like in the color blue haha)? I thought it was called Barcode....but either way, that place is really cool.

And Canuck, sounds like you're a big kid like me (I'm 37). You must hit up the Toys R Us in Times Square. You can ride the Ferris Wheel. There's always Dave and Busters on 42nd Street as well. They have a decent amount of games in there, and HUGE glasses of beer!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeng168 View Post
There could be more than one of those arcades/pubs but when I went to one in brooklyn, there were probably less than 15 machines and the games were like asteroids with the roller ball controller, nothing cool like spy hunter, frogged, donkey kong.

Have a good time when you're here! I love Montreal, my friends and i always go to Katherine Street.
Well I'll try and look things up online a bit before going so I can see what's worth train fare hehe. Glad to hear you like Montreal! Sainte-Catherine Street is definitely the main artery of downtown. Let me know if you ever need some suggestions when visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Check out

Forbidden Planet
maybe Midtown Comics
Barcade

Central park is cool, the zoo is right there, though I advocate the bronx zoo. Aquarium is unfortunately not open but Coney Island should be open when you get here

Brooklyn Brewery gives tours

LFS in manhattan: Wins, Pacific, 123, Aquastar
I think I've been to Midtown Comics once after NYCC, but I'll def look into them all. And I didn't know there was more than one zoo. Research time! haha. Thanks for all the suggestions and the tour of the brewery would be an awesome way to make my friend in Boston for PAX this weekend jealous hehe
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
Hey Viva.....Barcade....is that in Times Square? Like a really "blue" spot (I literally mean like in the color blue haha)? I thought it was called Barcode....but either way, that place is really cool.

And Canuck, sounds like you're a big kid like me (I'm 37). You must hit up the Toys R Us in Times Square. You can ride the Ferris Wheel. There's always Dave and Busters on 42nd Street as well. They have a decent amount of games in there, and HUGE glasses of beer!!!
Haha, yeah, big kid at heart. Some people mount art on their livingroom walls; I've got Gears of War Lancer replicas on mine. My friend and I have stayed near Times Square the past 2 times we went to NYCC, so we cut through it all the time. Love the Disney Store and Toys'R'Us haha
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
And I didn't know there was more than one zoo. Research time! haha.
There are 5 zoos in addition to the NY aquarium. The Bronx Zoo is the largest - and well worth a visit - hopefully it will warm up a bit more by then. Then there are zoos in Central Park, Prospect Park and Queens. In addition to the NY Aquarium, all of those institutions are part of the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS). Then there is also the Staten Island Zoo - which is independent.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe visiting NYC

Quote:
Haha, yeah, big kid at heart. Some people mount art on their livingroom walls; I've got Gears of War Lancer replicas on mine. My friend and I have stayed near Times Square the past 2 times we went to NYCC, so we cut through it all the time. Love the Disney Store and Toys'R'Us haha
Yeah man! Getting ready to bust out Gears of War Judgement tonight with my kid!

And I've been dying to go to Brooklyn Brewery. Best beer in my opinion. I pick it up all the time. Oops.....getting sidetracked here. You can hit the NJ side and check out the Freedom Tower from across the river. It's almost done!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloken38 View Post
Barcade is in williamsburg... bar + some arcade games. never been, shrug.

Im not really sure what other nerdy things there are around here, specially one dedicated to gaming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode