Really, really WTB Starlight plecos, L183 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
MrBrongher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 197
Really, really WTB Starlight plecos, L183

I am in fish love with these.

Has anyone seen them around or have any? Or can you recommend an online vendor who charges less than $30 a pop?
MrBrongher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 810
I think bsmith used to sell it.
ryu1 is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 260
Those are sweet! How big do they get?
Shangrila is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West TN
Posts: 56
Up to 5"...I like 'em too!
bibbster is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 113
Going to some LFS in NJ. will keep an eye out... if you ever trek to NJ LFS
arbai89 is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrongher View Post
I am in fish love with these.

Has anyone seen them around or have any? Or can you recommend an online vendor who charges less than $30 a pop?
Hi MrBrongher,

Yes. 1.5" and 3" wild caught

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
MrBrongher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
I think bsmith used to sell it.
I just stalked him a little and it looks like he hasn't been spawning them lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbai89 View Post
Going to some LFS in NJ. will keep an eye out... if you ever trek to NJ LFS
I don't have a car so very rarely I'm afraid. Though if you see some I could con someone into driving me or if you want to deliver them I could pay you in money or fish and plants. Once I get some of these guys I'm going to be unloading most of my albino bristlenoses, and I have other stuff too.
MrBrongher is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
MrBrongher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi MrBrongher,

Yes. 1.5" and 3" wild caught
hmmm... are they for sale? Are they sexed?
MrBrongher is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
shloken38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 787
Man, that IS a NICE fish! I am in NJ and pretty close to most of the LFS's up north. I live right outside the Lincoln Tunnel and travel out to central/west jersey for work. If I ever run across one, I will let you know.
shloken38 is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrongher View Post
hmmm... are they for sale? Are they sexed?
Hi MrBrongher,

At 1.5" and 3" I doubt if they are sexed; I will send you a PM with a link.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XMarineland Doublebright, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit; all with Press. CO2; (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
MrBrongher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi MrBrongher,

At 1.5" and 3" I doubt if they are sexed; I will send you a PM with a link.
Thanks!
MrBrongher is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bronx,NY
Posts: 140
Firstly i'll introduce myself as I am a long time lurker and have never posted before. My name is Ruben and i am fishaholic from the Bronx. Right now i am keeping 18 tanks ranging from 10 to 80 gallons. 90 percent of my tanks are dedicated to plecos. Found this site a long time ago when i was looking for some plants for a shrimp tank i was starting, and i visit the NY forum often just to see whats going on locally. The title of your post caught my interest as 183's are one of my favorite plecos and are on my wishlist. The following is all just my humble opinion from what i have absorbed from conversations with other pleco keepers about the 183's.These plecos are not your typical ancistrus and can be a bit tricky especially wildcaught ones. They are a blackwater fish and w/c fish need soft acidic conditions to thrive. Most of the imported fish also are infected with internal parasites and need to be treated for these during quarantine. If you ask me, they are worth the extra effort and are a beautiful fish although a challenge to keep. On the other hand some breeders have acclimated their captive bred fry to live in neutral and even slightly alkaline ph and they thrive. I have yet to hear of anyone being able to breed these in anything but soft acidic conditions, but maybe with some captive bred adults it can be done. Captive bred fish are a bit more money, but you dont have to deal with parasites if they are from a reputable source and the fish are usually kept in water conditions where RO water and peat are not necessary. Good luck in your search for them. I dont know of anyone locally that is breeding them but if shipping is not a problem I can tell you of a couple of breeders where you can get them from. When you get them, if you get them to breed please let me know as I will definitely be interested in some fry. Cheers.

Ruben
CodOnMyRod is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Elppan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 403
Oh those are some neat looking plecos! Good luck finding them, I've never seen them before. I love seeing fish that are new to me!

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

Back on the forum after two moves across two years! Slowly getting back into the hobby!
Elppan is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
MrBrongher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 197
Quote:
Firstly i'll introduce myself as I am a long time lurker and have never posted before. My name is Ruben and i am fishaholic from the Bronx. Right now i am keeping 18 tanks ranging from 10 to 80 gallons. 90 percent of my tanks are dedicated to plecos. Found this site a long time ago when i was looking for some plants for a shrimp tank i was starting, and i visit the NY forum often just to see whats going on locally. The title of your post caught my interest as 183's are one of my favorite plecos and are on my wishlist. The following is all just my humble opinion from what i have absorbed from conversations with other pleco keepers about the 183's.These plecos are not your typical ancistrus and can be a bit tricky especially wildcaught ones. They are a blackwater fish and w/c fish need soft acidic conditions to thrive. Most of the imported fish also are infected with internal parasites and need to be treated for these during quarantine. If you ask me, they are worth the extra effort and are a beautiful fish although a challenge to keep. On the other hand some breeders have acclimated their captive bred fry to live in neutral and even slightly alkaline ph and they thrive. I have yet to hear of anyone being able to breed these in anything but soft acidic conditions, but maybe with some captive bred adults it can be done. Captive bred fish are a bit more money, but you dont have to deal with parasites if they are from a reputable source and the fish are usually kept in water conditions where RO water and peat are not necessary. Good luck in your search for them. I dont know of anyone locally that is breeding them but if shipping is not a problem I can tell you of a couple of breeders where you can get them from. When you get them, if you get them to breed please let me know as I will definitely be interested in some fry. Cheers.

Ruben
Well, well, another Bronxite. Nice. We should compare notes.

I was aware that these fish were on the particular side, but my tap water is on the soft side, so I wasn't too concerned; I have peat and almond leaves.

The parasite thing is a little more alarming. If possible I'll buy some post-quarantine and deworming wild caught or captive bred fish. If that isn't possible (and I haven't seen anyone selling captive bred ones presently) do you know the course of treatment? I know that Levamisole is used with some success by loach enthusiasts, is that the preferred treatment? I'm gonna start looking into it myself now (thanks for the heads up on that) but if you happen to know already that'd be a start.

And... welcome to the forum. I rather like it here.

-Matt
MrBrongher is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,282
Check out aquabid. Saw a M/F pair for $65.

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome