The Planted Tank Forum banner

NJ shops

5K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  laqu 
#1 ·
Yes i know that this is the NY forum, but we are a lot more active than NJ.

I was wondering what shops are worth visiting in the area around intersection of 78 and 287. Somerville, Bridgewater areas.

I've heard that there is a store in Chester but don't know how good it is.
Also Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains , but no idea if its worth the gas.

Also curious about Milford PA if anyone knows.

If anyone has any insight on this area, I'd be very grateful. Thanks

#30 ·
You dont really need special bags for plants IMO. I have always used the bags that they give you with fish/plants/etc purchases at all LFS. However you might need heat packs for this weather.
Which ones do you have, i might just buy from you

#42 ·
HI, neighbor!

I'm on the other side of town (on the Mt.) while i don't have a HUGE tank, i do have shrimp and clippings if you ever need... just look at the photo tell me what you want and i'll hook you up if i can...

#33 ·
My relative is in Bedminster, took us about 20 mins drive to the shop. The crypts i got were $5.99 each, they didn't mention anything about 3 for 12 to me. Dunno if they just don't have it active or the guy didn't know about it, or something else.

#35 ·
I'll post some photos in a bit

#37 ·
THEY NEVER mention anything about discounts!

Untitled by laq997, on Flickr

those are the crypts i got from them.. now they all melted and re-grew so that is 100% new growth.. they have multiplied.

i will say their plants do live a long time but THEY HAVE TONS OF SNAILS... their betta have seen better days...

watch the price on supplies (ferts, filter stuff etc) and DATES.. it sits. they have a HUGE turn over of crickets and stuff and creepy crawly stuff in the back (i don't go back there) .. they do have a cute ferret (not that i've touched it, buy my daughter said it was soft) ICK

the morning guy (youngish) is very nice, and knows a TON about fish.

#40 ·
If you live near Lincoln, I would htink the Ridgewood store would have more plants than most of these stores combined.

The store is 7 miles from my work in Union and I don't really go down there. Their prices are what i expect for a LFS. I haven't been there since summer but I don't recall much plants. I bought 3 emperor tetras for $5 a piece. One died and became shrimp food and now that I think about it, they've all perished since then.

On your way there, there's Ocean Gallery 2, which was only s/w but during the summer they were expanding and adding a freshwater selection. Not sure if it's anything like their s/w set up since I haven't been back there in a while.

#41 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been to the ADA store before, and every other store in that area. I was just curious about Pet Shanty because some have said good things and it's not far from the job. I ask about plants because when I go to a store, I like it to have both livestock and plants. Gives me a reason to hang out in there longer!

#44 ·
The Ridgewood store is up Rt. 17, about 10 minutes North of Garden State Plaza. I was in there today. I bought some Crypt Parva, corkscrew vals, hygro augustifolia and some microsorium-something (forgot which one). Oh, also picked up 2 NICE looking guppies (wifey saw them in the show tank and fell in love!).

The store is definitely worth the trip. They have some really nice tanks set up and a great selection of plants.

#48 ·
Nothern Jersey is the spot when it comes to shops for planted tanks. I havent been to ridgewood yet but I frequently make the drive down to Fishtown (and absolutely fish once a while). Fishtown is my favorite place in the world. I know thats crazy, but the guys there love plants and they always have cool stuff. I was over there when I sent up my most recent aquarium (first go with a hi tech planted tank) and they hooked it up. I dont know anywhere else you can go get nice bunches of stem plants for $1.50. I was looking around in the back and came with their plant guy and we came across some old dusty white boxes. They happened to be the entire line of Brighty ferts, and when I asked Evan what he wanted for them he told me I could have one of each for free (I had bought most of my equipment for the tank from them). So I walked out with a bottle of step 1, step 2, step 3, brighty special lights, tourmaline bc, and bacter without spending a dime on it!

I am told they just got a new supplier in asia and they are bringing in some really hard to find stuff by the end of January, but they are always well stocked regardless. I wish they sold giesemann bulbs, but other than that they meet pretty much every need my tank has.

Great selection of shrimp, fish, plants, and supplies... and the prices are usually pretty good (fantastic when it comes to plants).

#50 ·
hmm... need some small plants for my 2 gallon and some Boraras brigittae ... might go down there... i was at absolutely fish last weekend and their plants were a bit 'grown in' for me - great for bigger tanks though.

#51 ·
definatly the place to go... They have tons of mosses and plants that are appropriate for nano tanks. If your looking for glosso or HC best bet is to wait until they get a delivery as it doesnt hold up great in their system (they should add co2 to atleast 1 tank). They also have a great selection of hardwater plants, fish, and shrimp if your looking to try something different. Check out the gertrudes rainbows, dwarf cories, the celestial pearl danios, and sparkling gouramis all of which would be great in a nano tank.

#52 ·
They also have a great selection of hardwater plants, fish, and shrimp if your looking to try something different. Check out the gertrudes rainbows, dwarf cories, the celestial pearl danios, and sparkling gouramis all of which would be great in a nano tank.
I KNOW those fish are cool.. they also think shrimp babies are yummy!

I have to be in Verona 2x this weekend ... so I will head over there... should be like 30 minutes away from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.