The Planted Tank Forum banner

NJ shops

5K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  laqu 
#1 ·
Yes i know that this is the NY forum, but we are a lot more active than NJ.

I was wondering what shops are worth visiting in the area around intersection of 78 and 287. Somerville, Bridgewater areas.

I've heard that there is a store in Chester but don't know how good it is.
Also Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains , but no idea if its worth the gas.

Also curious about Milford PA if anyone knows.

If anyone has any insight on this area, I'd be very grateful. Thanks

#2 ·
The store in Chester is Adam's Pet Safari, it's my LFS. Adam knows his stuff, but can be a bit stand offish. The store is pretty jam packed and he has a lot of freshwater tanks, and a fair amount of plants for sale. His prices are very reasonable too. I just bought some jungle val from Adam's that was easily 3ft long. I got three of them for 21 bucks. Not the neatest store in the world, but it's worth a look for sure.

#21 ·
really you LIKE adams... i think they are WAY overpriced on anything supply related... granted he doesn't carry shrimp (and i don't have fish) ... his plants are always COVERED in snails! maybe i just go at the wrong time but he only had a few plants when i was in.

i live right down the road from there, so it's him or petsmart... I LOVE the guy who works weekday mornings - he's nice and knows his stuff.. some of the other people were like "rimless tanks? really, i'd think they'd fall apart"

i don't even know if i've met adam ... i've been in a few times but always different people and no one ever is very helpful.

#3 ·
I went to Adams today and will definitely visit again when I'm in the area. The guy that helped me was friendly. The small fish selection wasn't the best today, but I got a few ember tetras and some microsword (3x4+ matt for $6). They also have Cory Hobrosus for $3or4 but I didn't want to risk since I won't be home for a day.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzOfaODzURZ0b2dxZTQ5X2VsZTg
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzOfaODzURZ0c185VmZqbVIzbU0
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzOfaODzURZ0c1FMWHo2bWFORVU
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzOfaODzURZ0cm9LWFZ3d1ZudDQ

#4 ·
Am I reading that correctly......cory habrosus $3 for 4? Holy crap......I work right up the road from this place (live near the Lincoln Tunnel)!!! I might have to stop by after work today....

Edit: just reread your post. 3 or 4 dollars each. Woof.....almost freaked out there for a second. I might have to check it out anyway.

#5 ·
yea sorry, they are each about 3 or 4. Most of them are in one of their show tanks, so I'm not sure if they are even for sale. But there were 2 in one of the sale tanks. Probably give them a call and ask.
They do have other nice fish, but stuff that Pacific and other local ny shops have as well.

#6 ·
I should subscribe to the NJ forum so I can catch questions when they come in. You could always join our NJ forum over at www.njagc.net (New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club) and discuss some of these questions there as well. Some of our members do not frequent this site and stay local to our forum.

Anyway.... I see you are in NYC. There are a number of stores that you can try just across most of the crossings. If you come across the GWB and head up the Route 4 corridor, there are a number of good stores you could hit up. Some can be seasonally better than others and it can really matter when some of the major auctions are in the area on whether their stock is good.

Kazimir's in Hackensack
Reef Encounter in Hackensack
Fishtown USA in Ramsey on Rt 17
Absolutely Fish in Clifton on Rt 3
Rt 4 Aquarium in Elmwood Park (ok place, has flipped owners a number of times and I haven't been back, but I think one of the managers frequents here and claims it is a good place).
The ADA store just opened very close to this area as well in Ridgewood (about 35 minutes from NYC)

Those are just some of the highlights that I can think of that are worth visiting. Hope that helped.

#7 ·
Yes thank you. I was aware of most of those but not all. I don't have a car and the area i mentioned in my first post is where a relative lives. And he can drive me to places within a reasonable distance from his house. I probably will join the NJ forum as well.

#12 ·
None close to GWB by bike. Just to add one to the list, there is Fish Hut on Rt. 46 in Saddle Brook. They have a pretty big selection and good prices. And Rt. 4 Aquarium has gotten waaaaaaay better, and it keeps getting better every time I go. If you are looking for something specific, just ask Mike there to get it for you. He's hooked me up a couple of times. His name on this site is F22. Mention this site to him, and he gives a discount! Really good peeps in that place.

#13 ·
That place is good (Absolutely Fish), but it IS pricey. You can haggle with them so long as the word "net" isn't next to the price. They also have a pretty good plant selection there. But again, expensive. For plants, I go to Fishtown in Ramsey. They give NICE moss portions for cheap. I picked up Riccia, Fissidens, and a few others for 2, 3 and 4 bucks each......close to tennis ball size. Can't beat that. He also has lots of different shrimp.

#16 ·
West side of NYC has no traffic though. If you ride along the shore, its one of the greatest relaxing experience you can have. Especially when the sun sets.

I do not think I will be able to buy for others. For one thing, when you are riding a bike, you'll be carrying all your bike tools which is already heavy. The other is that the more you carry, the more slow you'll be =P.

Thanks for letting me know about these stores guys. I can't wait till the spring.

If anyone would like to ride with me, I'd be happy to do so as well!

#18 ·
Some of you guys looking to bike around NJ highways are crazy. haha
You would probably be arrested or ticketed pretty heavily.

I grew up in NJ....lived in NYC and now I'm in CT so I'm pretty familiar with all three states. You can definitely take a bus to Ridgewood from Port Authority. Ridgewood has that nice new ADA Store if you ever need aquasoil or even a new tank.

#22 ·
Kazimir's in Hackensack
Reef Encounter in Hackensack
Fishtown USA in Ramsey on Rt 17
Absolutely Fish in Clifton on Rt 3
Rt 4 Aquarium in Elmwood Park (ok place, has flipped owners a number of times and I haven't been back, but I think one of the managers frequents here and claims it is a good place).
The ADA store just opened very close to this area as well in Ridgewood (about 35 minutes from NYC)

Those are just some of the highlights that I can think of that are worth visiting. Hope that helped.[/QUOTE]

I've been to Rt 4, they had a LOT of fish and the guy was ULTRA nice. he didn't have what i wanted but he was really nice.

Absolutely fish was nice too! a LOT of 'tanks and stuff' plus fish

I missed the one in Ramsey... and that sounds like the one i would have wanted as it has the shrimp and plants :(

it's a haul for me but maybe in the spring...

#23 ·
The prices I saw on Adam's website didn't seem too bad. I'm probably going to check them out since I work right up the road. I'm interested in the Cory habrosus they have. And if I can score a few plants, that would be a bonus. He has potted plants listed at 3 for 12 bucks. Crypts maybe?

#24 ·
The ADA store is definitely worth a visit if you have a high tech tank, are looking to set one up, or just want to see Amano style tanks. They have a pretty good selection of plants available, as well as all of the ADA equipment and tanks.

#25 ·
i got my crypts from Adams... now i have a TON and don't know what to do with them!

#27 ·
mine COMPLETELY melted then came back GREAT!

SNS?

#29 ·
ordering shipping bags now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.