The Planted Tank Forum banner

NY Water and chlorine

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 ·
Hey guys. As you know I got hit hard by sandy. A lot of my fish died but I was able to save a few. Im plannimg in get a ten gallon and bringing thwm to my moms. I heard that the water has double the chlorine. How is everyone doing water changes? I have prime. How much should I dose? Thanks for your help.
Death till
6 Pygmy cories
5 or 6 endlers and maybe my Otto. Can't find him.

The survivors
Betta and 3 platys.

#4 ·
Before people panic, they need to understand some of the basics of water treatment. Nuts pass all kinds of wrong advise after storms. It's the way they get back at society for doing them wrong!
One big thing to keep in mind is that they public health folks drink the same water everybody else does. Does it sounds logical that they will suddenly decide to dump their whole career and poison their family just to kill your fish?
There are very specific rules on the amount of chlorine/ chloramine used to treat water. The water is sampled and tested at numerous sites around the system. How often and how many is designed to make sure the water is good in all locations. Because there is a storm doesn't mean they suddenly stop doing their job.
The chlorine may be higher and people with sensitive noses may smell it. But it is still well within the set limits.
A normal dose of your dechlor is designed to cover the various levels of chlorine allowed.
Does anything on your dechlor product tell you to double the dose after storms? DUH!
Just maybe the people who run things all the time know what they are doing???

In emergency situations, --- don't trust the nuts for info. Trust the trained people!

If they tell you not to use the water, don't use the water. If they tell you it is safe, it is safe.

#6 ·
It should be safe to double dose Prime if you're concerned.

Since it's chlorine, you can also go old school and aerate the water for 24 hours before using it in your tanks. Or run it through activated carbon.

Hope the rest of your guys pull through. At least bettas are usually very tough.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Successfully transferred the fish into a ten gallon holding tank for the time being. Double dosed prime and the fish are swimming and eating a bit. (Didn't really feed much) there's an amano and a lone male RCS Sakura grade left in the tank in Rockaway. And surprisingly.... They are surviving the cold temps! I tried to net them but they were super tough to get to. With all the plants. I left the battery operated pump
on for them. Going to try again tmrw to net them if I have the time.

All the MUD and gunk has been removed from our basement. Now come the fun part. Smashing walls.

My plants will probably take a beating from all this. But I figure its a good reason to start all new projects when life gets back to normal... Not sure when that will be.

#8 ·
Quote--Not sure when that will be.

What you folks have to know is that it will be a very long time before life goes back to "normal". So many who have been talking about how messed up it has been in New Orleans since the hurricane hit there, may now have a whole lot better idea of what nature can do.
New Orleans is still not "normal".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.