The Planted Tank Forum banner

Swap Meet on Sunday 11/11/12

23K views 444 replies 32 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Theme for this meet: Ferts!

Met at LES and walking to the 5 LFS in the area.

More photos here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.125229287631979&type=1

Start point at Pacific Aquarium on Delancy @ 2:30pm

Pacific aquarium, 123 aquarium, 38 aquarium, Win tropical and Aquastar on the tour route. We are still looking for indoor options on where to swap.

At this meet, the theme will be dosing. Anyone who's able to help put together sample packets to share great. Due to the short time and the other tours of late, i'm not sure if i can order and pack all this stuff to distribute as i had in the past for the clay and floaters so i'd ask if some of the other forum members can help out here or step up to help.

Been thinking of holding a raffle for a prize. Maybe we can sell tickets for $.25 - $3 depending on the value of the prize and number of people attending. drawing to be conducted by a random stranger passer by out of a hat or bag. Any interest, please speak up. could be anything like a bottle of prime, ferts, or anything people may want to contribute.

As always, the invitation is extended to everyone who has expertise or interest in the hobby or just like pretty fishes and shrimp. Murderers and hooligans need not apply.

See less See more
#196 ·
Well, I know you and I trust you. That would be an awesome prize. I was thinking of putting up one of the stock 2.5 or 5 gallon glass tanks from Petsmart, but peeps seem to prefer rimless tanks these days. I've collected, like, all of the ghetto reject aquarium schtuff, I don't think anybody wants what I have even for free.

Anybody else have thoughts?

#197 ·
I was thinking of putting up one of the stock 2.5 or 5 gallon glass tanks from Petsmart, but peeps seem to prefer rimless tanks these days. I've collected, like, all of the ghetto reject aquarium schtuff, I don't think anybody wants what I have even for free.

Anybody else have thoughts?
I actually wouldn't mind getting those tanks from you.

#198 ·
The question would be, how much the raffle tickets go and would the tickets be per item or a general draw for all items. Given the value of the items. Maybe tickets should go for $8-10 each since we may only have like 10 people attending? The proceeds are going to the aquarium so people are welcome to buy as many tickets as they wish to donate.

I encourage everyone look for something to contribute on behalf of the aquarium. It would certainly make the raffle that much more exciting.

OR... Should we turn this into an auction for all items? Hmmm

In which case people would certainly bid on items of interest while possibly raising more money?

Or a combination thereof?

#199 ·
I'd like to do a multiple item thing, I think it lets more people contribute. Auction also has the potential to bring in more for items that are worth more. If we have a space to meet and lay stuff out, we can do a silent auction where people write in their bids.

Um, Eve, I don't actually have said tanks? They're just what I can get easily near me and can carry on the train. I think someone had a few 2.5s for trade earlier in this thread, hit them up first ;) and depending on interest I'll see what I can get.

#202 ·
A majority of us know oneanother so I'm sure we can set aside tickets for you and do a drawing whether you are present or not. Just need you to paypal the funds to someone.

The auction however would require a sponsor or representative on the phone with you to make bids. Its more of a realtime thing. If someone can help to collect a list of items either for raffle, or auction, we can circulate beforehand and can plan accordingly.

Remember all funds are going to the brooklyn aquarium. We would also need someone to volunteer and make the donation on behalf of our group.

Which leads to this question. Are we forming a group or society or still going by "the planted tank ny subforum". Its not so much an ego thing but more an identity since our activites and this hobby has brought so many of us together and made this so much more than it ever was 6 months ago. So to this point, I'm curious to see how everyone feels.

#203 ·
maybe we could start calling ourselves "NYAPS" like it was previously suggested.

Whether or not we do a raffle or an auction depends on the number of people we can expect and the (total/individual) value of the items offered. We should try to do a poll/headcount, though I don't know if one can be added to this thread.

#222 ·
I was thinking that we should really pick an inside venue for these winter meets... even if people can't handle the cold, it probably will suck for the fish/inverts/plants that we happen to bring and if we're outside for 2 hours + travel time, will really stress them out. Too bad we dont all have BAS bags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.