The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cycling New Tank? (More like what is this slimy white/tan/grey stuff)

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 · (Edited)
Deleted

#5 ·
Where exactly is this stuff. if its on the plants, take it out and clean otherwise, trim or toss it. Use bleach as a last resort. I dont think you are there yet :)

Light and water circulation are other things to consider. is the light sufficient to sustain the plants, is the water stagnant?
i'm going to setup my betta tank tonight too so wish me luck.

#10 ·
Do you happen to have any branches or driftwood or anything in there? I had this problem before where I am guessing the SAP did not dry out or something was coming out of my branches. I let my ottos and snails take care of it and they were at it for a few weeks before there weren't anymore.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Try blue rams horns... Just as good as the reds but prettier.

Very observant aokashi... Thats one of the benefits of the pond snails. Not sure if it's due to their shell design or what but they often hang on the surface to feast on the bacteria of scum if you don't have enough surface agitation.

Sonicpath gave away some really pretty leopard print pond snails last week.

Mts normally can get to the top along the glass and even beneath the floaters only to take a dive back down to the substrate. If mts are dying on you, it might be more due to being a new tank as there may not be sufficient food detris in the substrate yet. Another problem might be nitrates. I can dig up some older ones for you if u wanted to try them again dan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.