The Planted Tank Forum banner

General Chat - Talk about anything!

69K views 1K replies 52 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 ·
Hoping this thread can be used for whatever nonsense, feel like asking questions? Ranting? Dropping in to say hi? Talking about your day? I'd love to hear about it.

Earlier today, there were comments on how we're all nerdy hahaha. So, what nerdy things aka hobbies do you guys like? I'm a big bio nerd and love learning up on animals and live stuff. And agreed, planted tanks...very sciencey. Too much, in fact :icon_eek:

#1,062 ·
I love bettas too much. Sorry to hear about your loss >_<

I think I ought to go away from bettas and start on snails or shrimp (or both!). I've only ever kept CT/VT bettas and feel like I should expand my repertoire. The dumbos look funny to me hehehe. Dumbo...

#1,064 ·
I have good news to share.

my dwarf cajun cray gave birth. i ve counted 5 babies scurrying about ranging from navy blue to gray.

my h.formosas from Matt also gave birth. i see little fry between the plants as i was collecting and bagging for tomorrow's meet.

My CBS gave birth and i have seen 5ish candy cane things at various times.

seems the tanks are full of joy lately ...

I managed to do my first Major trim and boy the tank looks so roomy now :)

This post has been deleted
#1,081 ·
well the ones I saw were all adults, and I've never seen a female berried. I also doubt that any babies can escape the betta :/ plus I've never seen any babies...

I had a few shrimps dissappear a few months ago and I assumed that the betta ate them because I never saw them again...maybe they're just too good at ninjaing on me :/

#1,084 ·
Ninja shrimp indeed.

Good news: Sam (bunny) can stand for over a minute if I prop up his leg! He couldn't do that last week. I am so relieved.

My widower bunny also asked me for kisses last night. He is lonely but I think he will take my company until I get him a companion. I was worried because he really belonged to the one that passed away, he wasn't really 'my' bunny. But it looks like he won't die of grief now.

#1,094 ·
I love the Spec V BUT the light sucks. Really sucks. So I bought the FugeRay 16 for mine. That adds $54 to the price, but for me well worth it.

Filter mods: I Put SeaChem Matrix in the filter and Purigen. I cut slits in the filter outtake tube to reduce flow, and put foam into the intake holes to prevent shrimpie demise.

The chi has issues -- light switch is inaccessible, fountain can be loud, evaporation is rapid. (several local folks bought the chi and sold it within weeks bc of the annoyance factor)

The edge is a pain in the ass to clean. I would never buy one. Ever.

For $40 the Spec V is verrrrrrrrrry tempting....

#1,088 ·
Dunno bout the filter, but I'd only do like, crypts/lowlight plants or so in a small tank like that. I absolutely love the shape though. Good for a betta ;) Or inverts? How are the chi/edges? Itll be 40% off too. Plus my discount. siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

edit:
vvvvvv derimmed edge man!

#1,089 ·
If you managed to get up close with an chi or edge, you will notice the small access point on the glass lid. If you think maintaining a tank now is a PITB, wait until you work with a tiny hole on the otherwise sealed glass top.

Lots of people use to mod these tanks to use LED bulbs but the new gen all use these by default now. They are pretty tanks but a maintenance nightmare. people commonly watch the tank water overflow while trying to reach inside because you normally have to fill the tank all the way up to fill the water to the lid to make it look pretty. replacing the filter is also another common mod.

I think speccgrl has the specV tank. I think these are preferred over the chi and edge IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.