The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Dwarf Cajuns [tank photo]

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  philemon716 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2 pairs of Dwarf Cajun Crayfish (Cambarellus Shufeldtii) are here!

They will be moving into my 5.5 gallon former Rili shrimp tank which current have these parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrides 0
PH 6.8
TDS 138
GH 4
KH 1

There are a few 1/2" PVC tubes cut in 3" sections in the tank already along with cholla which they likely wont fit into.

The tank is lined with Fluval Shrimp Stratum, round pellia and some random mosses.

Aquaclear 50, sponge filter and a nano internal filter keep the water flowing and clean but it may be overkill so the sponge filter will likely be transplanted to another tank tonight.

I'm hoping to keep 2 CPO together with these guys. Any tips for these little guys?

See less See more
#2 ·
That's some filtration..

IME, they're aren't much different then keeping shrimp. The only difference is that they don't play nice with one another. They don't really hurt each other, just some bitch slapping. Things that can be used for caves or "territories" will be good, and they'd feed individually - that is, you can't drop a large algae wafer and expect them to share the way shrimp would.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics. It was a busy water change night and these guys were acclimated for 3 hours before entering the tank.

In the container

For scale, this is a quart container. They are sized between a nickel (with tiny claws extended) and dime (the body only)

For scale again, he is smaller than the adult MTS

So far the extend of their aggression has been slap fighting with both parties running away after the third swing. LOL these guys are funny to watch.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks all. Jackskeletonzero on aqua bid. He's real nice to deal with. They aren't gorgeous like cpos but these guys are a riot to watch.

One second they are all sitting next to each other like on a school bus... The next minute everyone is raising their claws in the air then it turns into a battle royal....

And When I say battle royal, I mean a blind folded pillow fight were no one actually hits anyone nor knows what to do, then everyone sort of settles down and sits back together on the bus once more. This is way more interesting than watching shrimp eat and graze.

#17 ·
heh yea. They are not the prettiest little guys but they are very very interesting indeed. im trying to sort out their feeding first and foremost so maybe i'll have to goto petco or the Chinatown LFS during lunch time to pickup some sinking foods for them.

My shrimp? They REALLY like Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, but I should probably do more reading on crustacean nutrition before I decide on a staple food. (I'm currently rotating through my stock of goldfish foods, as most of them are herbivore-friendly.) Did you know that aquacultured penaeid shrimp (the ones raised for food) can develop molting issues if they are deficient in - can't remember exactly, I think it's phosphatidylcholine. But it's found in soy lecithin.

I did try to make gel food using spirulina powder, agar agar, squashed green peas (note to self: use baby food next time, pea shells do not squash well), smushed romaine lettuce, vitamin C, calcium carbonate, and red palm fruit oil (it's a really good supplement for vertebrates, high in vitamin A and I think E). It seems to have been quite the resounding failure. I'm thinking of trying straight spirulina powder next.
If you use green peas, purée them first. Im asking jake (somewhatshocked) to see if he's got any protein enriched sinking foods on the menu.

There's soy lecithin in some of the flake foods so i'll have to try feeding that tonight.

Last night they've been doing the spiderman thing and hang upside down off the floaters. i began to wonder were they went until i looked up. They still amaze me :)

#16 ·
My shrimp? They REALLY like Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, but I should probably do more reading on crustacean nutrition before I decide on a staple food. (I'm currently rotating through my stock of goldfish foods, as most of them are herbivore-friendly.) Did you know that aquacultured penaeid shrimp (the ones raised for food) can develop molting issues if they are deficient in - can't remember exactly, I think it's phosphatidylcholine. But it's found in soy lecithin.

I did try to make gel food using spirulina powder, agar agar, squashed green peas (note to self: use baby food next time, pea shells do not squash well), smushed romaine lettuce, vitamin C, calcium carbonate, and red palm fruit oil (it's a really good supplement for vertebrates, high in vitamin A and I think E). It seems to have been quite the resounding failure. I'm thinking of trying straight spirulina powder next.

#18 ·
Er, well, the blender and I are not on speaking terms. Hence, baby food.

I seem to have read conflicting opinions on protein content, which is why I want to look into it more. Something about too much inducing molting too early. I should have paid better attention. Invertebrate physiology is kind of obscure.

#19 ·
Too much protein is not to be confused with no protein. Shrimp do need protein, but shouldn't be given an overwhelming amount of it. I look for foods that are in the 30% range and under when you look at their analysis.

Its not that it induces it too early, its that they get too big in their current shell before they're ready to shed it.

#21 ·
Them and CPOs will mix like salt and sugar. I also read they'll readily interbreed.

I know these guys are hardier at least.

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

#23 ·
Ooh that might work if they're quick, and you don't care too much if you lose a few. I'd pick something like least kilifish, because they should make up for losses. I'm not sure lol.

From MABJ's iPhone

#28 ·
I haven't seen them, but if they're anything like the ones in my area close by bonas, you find them small and release them as they grow lol

From MABJ's iPhone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.