The Planted Tank Forum banner

live foods

9K views 101 replies 15 participants last post by  kvang 
#1 ·
I seen that homemadepopcorn asked about live daphnia and was also interested in some sort of live food (other then blackworms, tubifex worms and brine shrimp) for fish. I've ordered vinegar eels, micro worms and grendal worms in the past but didn't keep up with them once fry out grew them. But rather than order online I would prefer to purchase a culture of live food locally.

#50 · (Edited)
I wouldn't mind trying some scuds. Pretty sure my killies would enjoy them. Yup! Aquabid. I ordered worms from aquabid a few years ago with great success. Didnt want to pay $11 shipping with the other guy. Hopefully I don't regret it.

#54 ·
Hahahah I just might. I have a nice group of cory habrosus to keep her company. And originally I had a group of pygmy but I accidentally co2 gassed them. :icon_sad:

I know a breeder in NYC and I can't decide if I should get more or let her live on a beautiful aquatic farm somewhere. But I will keep you in mind if I do give her away. Dang she is one of my favorites but its really too bad I only have one.

#61 ·
I will try my best!

You're raising bloodworms? I thought that they have an airbourne adult state, which makes culturing a pain.
So are fruit flies but people still do it. However, I do agree with you though. I have been brainstorming how I can do this in the winter time. Still working on techniques but I think I got it. Waiting for this batch to become adults and then I will know for sure.

#70 ·
Thanks. I've been reading the lab practices for culturing them their buildings I hope this works.

Would anyone be interested in live roaches as feeders?
I really hate roaches but how are they nutrition wise? Also what fishes eat them? I may put up with it if it really does help my fishes.

#69 ·
Hissing roaches I had once but that was for my herps and tarantulas. I wouldn't want to raise any foods that take up as much space and time as the animal I'm feeding it to. Sounds like too much of a hassle trying to culture black or tubifex worms. Walter, white, vinegar, micro and grendal worms are much easier and low maintenance. I'm expecting my order of worms next week, once I get them I'll let you guys know.

#71 ·
They are high in protein and fat. More info here: http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...eder-roaches-care-breeding-15.html#post351559

The study in that post was done with Eublaberus distanti. I raise E. prosticus which is a closely related species.

To feed my fish, I take a small nymph, kill it, then cut it into small pieces with a scissor. My harlequin rasboras go crazy for them. You can feed whole roaches to larger fish.

#76 ·
For poison dart frogs, I suggest wingless fruit flies, isopods (wood lice), and springtails. Most feeder roaches, even lobster roaches, get too big for poison dart frogs. Those that stay smaller can climb and have the potential to escape, becoming unwanted household residents.

#80 ·
well... they are so disgusting I washed them 20 times. dosed with potassium permanganate once to get rid of any parasites. rinsed another 20 times. picked out a few healthy ones. dumped them in a pot outside and changed the water another three times before I actually fed any to the fish.....

If you dump them all in I believe they will foul up your water....

#81 ·
I've had some in a container I have in the window with some white clouds, rams horn snails and java fern. It's been about 3 months and I can still see the worms wiggling around. I also keep tubifex worms in my 15 gallon tank but they stay in the Lees cone feeder. I find more parasites in the blackworms then the tubifex. Tubifex seems to have more die off when left in a container.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.