This used to be an active place. What happened? - The Planted Tank Forum
 213Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This used to be an active place. What happened?

Really. Where has everyone gone?

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Facebook I think. But I'm sure there are still some members around.
Watercrayfish likes this.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

Lots of views, not a lot of posts.
Milkman and Cremepuff like this.

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-raid View Post
I clicked on, not sure if the OP is talking about the NY sub forum, or the website as a whole. I don't want to "intrude" if only talking about NY. I'm assuming others feel the same.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
I clicked on, not sure if the OP is talking about the NY sub forum, or the website as a whole. I don't want to "intrude" if only talking about NY. I'm assuming others feel the same.
Yeah not sure about OP but I am talking about website as a whole!

post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah not sure about OP but I am talking about website as a whole!
I've been through other forums, in various other hobbies. They all seemed to have a certain ebb and flow. The old timers get tired of answering the same questions, like "white spots on fish, what do I do?" When a simple search will provide all the answers. So, the old timers stop actively posting, while the newbs don't pull in any new users. Eventually, the old timers come back, or enough experienced hobbyists find their way, and it starts to become vibrant again.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I put it in the NY section because this has become almost inactive but it certainly applies to the whole site. I find myself losing interest in TPT and I'm not happy about it.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

I would think it would be difficult to post or request case specific information on Facebook. I wonder if "forums" in general are not becoming dated. However, I've gained a lot here and only wish to see it grow. I think maybe some re-designs would be helpful. For example after clicking on the algae thread there would be further options to specific algae issues. Anything to gain faster access to information really would be helpful. Also, some way to make it more interactive??? Would like to see more engagement here as well!
mndblwn likes this.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

It is probably just a lul/people tired of answering the same questions over and over. (Do research before you post!)
I think there is some difficulty retaining people on a forum of this nature as the hobby doesn't change very quickly unless you get out of it for a few years. (Like seriously. I left for 3 years and came back to learn about Neocaridinas for the first time! To my great joy!)
Only a relative few have the funds to change stuff up all the time, so it is possible that people just get tired of posting the same thing. Just guessing?
jstehman and Irishirie like this.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I generally skim through the new posts/active topics several times daily when I'm doing a build. But after my build is up and running, I only reply to posts on my thread and posts updates. I don't skim daily at that point. When I'm active, I post way too often. When I'm not, I pretty much don't exist.
Milkman likes this.
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Honestly, most people who were active on here have moved onto other forums where they are not experiencing issues with forum trolls, people who seem to never leave the house, and post 24/7, the attitudes, the snobbery, the non-stop arguing, etc etc etc, and yes being "helpful" gets tiring, and stale after awhile. Then there's the high turn over rate for the hobby.
There's also quite a high degree of runaround BS via sales threads as well, so a lot have chosen to move to other forums for that as well.
BettaBettas and Boostr like this.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 01-09-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: ........................................................................................................
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would agree with this. In my case, I can find the answers for most of my questions by searching for them, so I don't post questions. I don't reply to questions asked because I don't have enough experience to help.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:44 AM
Planted Tanker

I dont mind shooting the breeze on facebook groups, but they dont compare to a good forum imo.
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

This used to be an active place. What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Honestly, most people who were active on here have moved onto other forums where they are not experiencing issues with mods, forum trolls, people who seem to never leave the house, and post 24/7, the attitudes, the snobbery, the non-stop arguing, etc etc etc, and yes being "helpful" gets tiring, and stale after awhile.

These are things i know are true for so many i keep contact with outside the forum. There's also quite a high degree of runaround BS via sales threads as well, so a lot have chosen to move to other forums for that as well. The fact is while you'll meet a lot of nice people in aquatic hobbies, there's also a amazingly high percentage i feel personally of extremely rude, and inconsiderate people in the hobby as well.

Preach preach ! I couldn't agree more ! Especially with the last part . I've posted on TPT , fishlore, and aquarium advice . One thing held true, I kept seeing people being rude and arrogant to other hobbyist , especially newbies. I understand why the old timers might get tired of people posting the same old questions. But if you're rude with newbies than don't be socked when you see a decline in new members ... not saying any one posting on this thread has done that, but it just seems obvious what the results will be, as well as the outcome. If you have the knowledge don't be cocky , be helpful. It's that simple ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 AM

Whats stopped me from registering to this forum was the strict password requirement and being a guest and not able to look at any of the photos posted made me avoid this website. Made two accounts and forgot the password...
Never felt like registering again until now (2 years). Hopefully we can change atleast the password requirements... more strict than my bank account.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode