The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish club in Hudson Valley, NY?

7K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  Urkevitz 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for a local tropical/planted fish club in the Hudson Valley, NY - (Westchester County).

Thanks,
-Mike

#5 ·
aquaverde said:
Well, I'd be hoping for a bit more of a response. At this point, we could just visit each other and call it anything we wanted to. :)
Dear Aquaverde and melbourne,

I live in Milton (that's between Newburgh and Highland on Route 9W). I hope to be a regular participant on this forum, and I suggest we keep in touch through the Planted Tank.

I enjoy LFS hunting. I've driven from Schenectady to New Jersey. Either of you guys are welcome on the next road trip.

- ksand

#6 ·
I'm going to post the link to the page I sent you, ksand.
This is an aquarist that lives in Poughkeepsie and keeps planted tanks. She used to post on usenet, but I haven't been there in a long time, so maybe doesn't any more. The page hasn't been updated in forever, but is still helpful if you're looking for local stores. I printed out this page a year ago, and made a point to visit all of them. Animabilia is one of my favorites, and I posted elsewhere about B&G.

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/halloween/881/links.htm

#12 ·
New Aquarist Club

I was in B&G Pet Supplies in Newburgh today. I was talking with Matt about the Nymphaea zenkeri I just purchased, and a fellow standing nearby joined in the conversation. It turns out he wants to start a club. He doesn't own a computer, but we exchanged phone numbers. Looks promising, I'll keep this forum posted.

#16 ·
Ok, I thought about this all night. And I finally said to myself.... "How hard can this possibly be?" I am wondering how far from Albany you all are. I have decided that I am going to start this club. I am going to suggest our first meeting be sometime after Christmas. I think that we should do it on a Sunday afternoon if that is okay with everyone. How does January 16, 2005 sound to everyone? Prehaps 1 o'clockish? Now the question is where? I don't mind driving. Let me know what you all think. First meeting will basically be getting to know each other and such. If you have pictures of your tanks... bring them. If anyone has any cuttings/clippings/shoots or anyother form of plant they are looking to give to someone instead of tossing... bring them. If you have fish that you don't want or have 9 million of :icon_roll and wouldn't mind getting rid of.... bring them. Any questions.... ask. Let me know what you all think. My e-mail address is littleslicknick@hotmail.com . Don't hesitate to e-mail me. Thanks.
-Nick

#21 ·
Animabilia in Wappingers, B&G Pet Shop in Newburgh, Tropical World & Pet Center in Newburgh, The Birdcage in Hyde Park, all have had japonicas at one time or other. Animabilia has had bumble bees and some other rarer things as well.

The Birdcage and TW&PC have had cherries. I called every week after cleaning out the latter of all their cherries to get some more, but they never did get any. I quit calling after 6 months.

Unfortunately, vendors have taken on the reprehensible practise of dyeing Yamato shrimp, and don't like to tell you that's what they're doing, which makes ordering cherries and getting cherries rather tedious.

I'd really like to know if there are any decent LFSs in the Albany area. It's really closer to me than all these places south, but I never go that way so I don't know what might be there.

#23 ·
I'll keep them in mind next time I'm in that area.

I don't do AFFs any more. Too aggressive. Only the females might be tolerable, and the algae consumption varies a lot with individual fish. The wild-caught are supposed to be a lot better. Don't ask me how to tell if an AFF is wild-caught or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.