The Planted Tank Forum banner

Albuquerque

16K views 162 replies 14 participants last post by  skywhitney 
#1 ·
Wish we had a decent LFS here... Clark's is pure garbage, and their plants carry all kinds of nasty stuff and the only other decent shop is a reef only shop. :icon_frow very disappointing but at least we have an awesome site like this to keep the hobby alive here in alb!

If there is anyone else here in Albuquerque we should try to meet up sometime and talk tanks!

#4 ·
Hmmm I have head that lava rock is questionable. I wanted to try some red sand stone I have in my front yard but left it soaking for about 2 weeks and it started leaving a lot of deposits so dropped that idea but I found some rocks in the foot hills of the Sandia mountains that looks sort of like slate that I'm thinking of trying out. It's kind of disappointing though because we do have a lot of cool looking rocks.

#5 ·
Picked up some Lava slabs from the Springerville area last week, they look cool and are very hard, makes for nice layered effect for the Plecos. Sand stone is questionable for sure, neat colors around here but they seem to fall apart when they are boiled. Should be some nice Granite around the Taos area though, Angel Fire has some nice looking stone in the foot hills.

#6 ·
The clarks on Lomas isn't too bad. I sell a lot of my plants to them. The prices are insane for a lot of stuff though. They'll charge $40 for a fish that i can get for $3.99 elsewhere.

I know there are a few guys i'll talk tanks with on a regular basis. Are there any clubs in town?

#8 ·
Yeah their prices are really ridiculous. I try not to buy from them too often but sometimes they have stuff you can't get elsewhere.... but yeah the lomas one is far better than the menaul one.

I haven't heard of any clubs here but it would be cool to start one or at least a little gathering once in a while. especially since i'm the only one I know that is in to tanks and especially planted ones so I don't really have anyone to talk about them with.

#9 ·
I saw this post and decided to reply. I, too live in Albuq and would enjoy meeting up with others who live here and enjoy fish, especially planted tanks!!
Where abouts do you live? :icon_bigg And when do you usually meet up? Maybe if we can get enough people together we can actually start a tank group here.

#11 ·
This coming weekend I will be at the Balloon Fiesta Park catering lunch to the Heavy Lifters for the Celtic Festival, come by and say HI. If you haven't gone to this event before, it is worth your time.

Bill
BBQ Team; BS Grilling

#15 ·
This weekend is going to be pretty busy for me as well with two club meetings on Sunday and Saturday is usually busy. Hopefully we can meet and talk tank some weekend soon,though.
What sort of club? We definitely should all try and get together some weekend. Maybe we can actually boost up the hobby here somehow and actually get something going here.

#18 ·
I'd be interested in meeting up sometime in June.

Good education AND fair pricing...have yet to find that place

Along those lines, I stopped by Fins N' Critters about a week ago and my heart just sank. I remember when they used to be a good pet store :-(. Most of the animals i saw, aquatic or not, had some sort of health issue going on.

Has anyone checked put Petland on Paseo? Any good?

#19 ·
I would defintely be interested in try to meet up in June as well! We'll just have to get it figured out and make it happen.

Yeah I would say if you looking for good educated people it would be in the forum and not in our crappy LFS. I feel like this place and finding things on internet fish shops is the best bang for the buck.

Yeah I went to Fins N' Critters a couple weeks ago as well and it was one of the most sorry pet shops now. =l It was super disappointing that it is going so downhill. The fish section when I went was pretty much non existent.

No I actually passed that place the other day and really wanted to go in but didn't have the time. It looks a bit promising though. Hopefully its not just another petsmart/petco. I have heard a few good things about west side pets but haven't been in there in a few years so I could really vouch for it.

#20 ·
I stopped by Petland today...its a good store if you like Ich in your tanks. If you don't mind treating a new fish in QT for a while then they actually did have some pretty good looking fish. The employee i talked to told me to keep a betta in a vase with a plant cause they'll eat the roots and live a long happy life. I had no words, i just walked away. What plants they did have were spread throughout their tanks so those are infected as well.

My opinion: just another Petsmart/Petco

#22 ·
I would say we should shoot for either the 23rd/24th. I'll most likely be in the process of moving on the first.... =p

That's disappointing about petland though. I wish there pet stores would get some knowledgeable people in their fish sections. The last time I went into clarks they had a guy working in their fish section that had never even had a tank before let alone worked with fish... If their was a good enough market here I would totally be tempted to open up a fish shop here.

#23 ·
Lets plan for the weekend of the 23/24 then! Thats plenty of notice for people to arrange their schedules.

Haha i've talked to my wife about opening one too. But like you said, there's just no market :-/
The few people i deal with at clark probably getannoyed with me cause i'll ask a million questions then get my fish elsewhere cause their prices are insane. They wanted $40 for a German Blue Ram where i can go up the street and get one from Petco for $3.99...

#25 ·
What area of town are you in? I'm in the NE heights/foothills.

We might have to take some business from them! Lol. The crazy part is that Clark's sells them. I have no idea how but they get their asking price. I just want to say that this is by no means a slam on the aquatic employees there, a lot of them are incredibly knowledgable and have helped me a ton for which i am very grateful. I just don't like the prices lol

#26 ·
I am about in the same area. I'm off tramway and copper. soon to be off tramway and lomas. lol

I think it would be awesome to try! and wouldn't be that hard to take the real fish hobbyist buisness from them. lol I saw this lady and her husband go into pet smart a few days ago and get like 8 -10 fish for a new tank and the guy helping them didn't even say anything.... Yeah I don't care for their prices at all either, the only thing that is a bit cheaper at clarks that I have found was excel when I was using it.

#27 · (Edited)
haha i'm at Tramway and Lomas as well!

People in the stores kill me with their lack of caring about the animals well-being once they leave the store. I don't think i could ever work for one of the big name pet stores.

#28 ·
That should make it easy to meet up then! Haha maybe once I get moved and everything set up we can try and meet up. Maybe trade some clippings? Hopefully everyone else is fairly close by.

The only reason I would want to work there is to be able to give people some quality fish info and hopefully not get fired from detouring people from making mistakes. Haha

#29 ·
Absolutely! Hey if you're thinking or thought about new driftwood i'm going to be finding some local Gambels Oak that can be used. If you are interested in helping out let me know!

I'd be good with trading some clippings. I have a number of new plants coming this week as well. I'll let you know when i get them to the point of trimming. My available time to meet up is going to be limited since the summer semester starts today but i'll fit a get together into my schedule for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.