The Planted Tank Forum banner

Absolutely Fish

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  shloken38 
#1 ·
Has anyone been to this store before? Im in NYC but thinking of making a trip to some of the jersey stores.

Do they have a decent healthy selection?

#2 ·
Worth the trip. But be for-warned, you won't find anything underpriced. I mean nothing. Years ago, the staff had something of a reputation for being "aloof" (I'm being kind), but they hire a LOT of staff now and most really are pretty cool now.

On your way out, check out The Fish Hut. It's just east of AF on Rt 46. Mostly FW (an oddity these days) and the staff is cool all around. Light on plants usually, but the fish selection is really good and reasonably priced. It's out of my way, but I try to get there every couple of weeks or so.

#3 ·
Both are good places. IMHO Absolutely Fish overall has better selection of everything (fish, plants, food etc.) but The Fish Hut usually has a bigger variety of cichlids. I also highly recommend Fish Town USA (735 NJ-17, Ramsey, NJ) for their selection of plants. Quite often they offer very, very good selection of plants - the best I saw so far in any fish store.

#4 ·
I second this post in all ways. Fully agree that all stores are worth a visit.

Fish Town USA is on 17 South. Evan gets his plants in towards the end of the week, if I am not confused.

Fish Hut really is mainly cichlids, at least the biggest selection of them I've seen around. Plenty of Apisto's when they get them in. Maybe $40.00 per pair or so.

AF is raising some of their fish in a private fish room in another building elsewhere. They are raising corals too.

#15 ·
Hello

Just happened to see this post. I'm the NJAGC member that Jerry is referring to that visited the facility. It is real, it does exist ☺ AF has a saltwater and freshwater breeding program. Stock labeled as AF grown comes from this facility. Its still in the early stages of development and not open to the public. Its part of a large warehouse building and occupies an entire floor.

I visited there for 2 reasons.

1 - As Jerry said we are considering a club meeting at the facility
2 - I keep several cichlid C.A.R.E.S. species from Madagascar and Cameroon. The owner of AF, Pat Donston is a great supporter of conservation. Some of my fish are at the facility and breeding!

Btw, NJAGC members receive a 15% discount at AF and many other LFS.

#19 ·
AF is a decnt place. A little pricey, not crazy or out of line, though. Livestock is healthy. Decent plant stock. Good selection of dry goods. Pat and the staff are knowledgeable. I also deal with Evan up at Fishtown USA. Large selection of good plants. Decent selection of healthy livestock. Knowledgeble and reasonably priced.

Tommy

#20 ·
For me, it's a great place to go and look and try to figure out what you want, but they are way overpriced. I prefer to get my fish online from places like imperialtropicals.com or alphaprobreeders.com. Much cheaper and great quality. I have bought fish from AF, but unless it's for a fish I can't get online or is too delicate for shipping, I can't see myself spending the amounts they charge for fish.

#21 ·
Local fish stores are having a really hard time competing with online sellers. Very soon I predict you won't see a LFS. Then we will regret online sales.

I see it happening with garden centers too. There its HD and Lowe's for competition.

#22 · (Edited)
I was going to hit the like button then realized that I agree, but do not like the reality, of your post. You are so right about this. I try my best to spread the love when I can, especially on live stock and food. Buy from Fish Town, Absolutely Fish although I still call it Aquatropics, Ely's and Fish Hut in Lodi. I have bought a few fish from Petsmart too, an impulse buy when the wife wants to browse dog stuff.

There is one pet store in Ledgewood that is sort of halfway between "big box" and LFS, called Petgoods. I needed a heater late in the day on Saturday and could have ordered it from A to Z, but decided to go there instead. The have a decent supply of top end products and will price match the A to Z price. Picked up 2 Aqueon heaters and some food.

I did the same for the local hardware store on "small business Saturday" and bought over one hundred dollars of stuff that I really didn't need.

And I almost forgot Sharks Aquarium. I was able to snag a few Apistogramma's and Cobalt blue Rams. Went back a few weeks later for the cacatuoides that I passed on and guess what?

#25 ·
I think their last location killed Shark Aquarium, I've never been to one even though I use to work in Union off rt 22 not even a 5 mile drive. It just wasn't as convenient as their previous location.

If you're interested in the same predator type fish, Aquarium Paradise in Belleville, is your best bet. Their community fish selection is a hit or miss at times and hasn't expanded the plants last I went 8 months ago but worth checking out. They have wild discus and other oddballs but not cheap. It's one of the guys who worked at work Shark Aquarium that opened up a retail shop. They started with online only with Aquascape Online and mainly catered to MFK types.

#26 ·
@mach_six

I was able to get a great deal on Panduro's a few weeks before Shark went out, $20 for four. Same deal for Cockatoo's so I went back for four, all gone. I will check out the Belleville store next time I am in the area. Many years ago there was a store right off 21 that had acrylic tanks when no one else did. Is that place the same? In a strip mall on Main street around Terry street.

#27 ·
I went to 4 places yesterday looking for floating plants. Nothing. One place is a place I have been visiting for 10 years. I saw this thread and decided to go to Fishtown USA today. It is an hour and 15 minutes away. Not a fun drive. I got some frog bit, red tiger lotus, java moss and some carpet kind of stuff (I hope this one does well). I was amazed at the section of plants available. I didn't look at the fish too much as I couldn't take anything home anyway. I just hope that my new plants do well. I am sure that they will if I keep up on fertilizer dosing and my DIY co2.

#28 ·
I frequent all of these places, and I have to say that Fishtown USA is my goto spot. I've known Evan a few years, and he is by far the best local guy when it comes to plants. He's always open to suggestions as well and will try and get what you are looking for. Very reasonable prices, and everything I've gotten from there is healthy (plants and livestock). Definitely worth the trip for anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.